Boat with Cuddy Cabin what to do.....

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For the owners with boats that have a Cuddy Cabin. Maybe just a Cabin for a Porta Potti and a sink.

Just wanted to know what you do in between boat uses. I always try to keep my access door open with the cover of the cockpit covering it to keep insects and debris out and just let air circulate in there and keep the mildew and musty odor from really taking control of the Cabin. For the most part it works but always wondered what other boat owners do. Want to know if there are any other good ideas.

What do you do??

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Boat with Cuddy Cabin what to do.....

Well, if you boat is dry before you cover it, mold and mildew will not take control in the cabin. For 8 summers, I left my cuddy door closed, porti-potti full of clean water (no sink), and never had one mold issue. I always wanted that door closed, in case animals were around (and there were racoons) and got in the boat, they couldn't get in the cabin. Plus if the cockpit cover ever got damaged by high winds or falling debris during a storm, then rain water wouldn't blow in the cabin either. That's what I did and why, and it worked for me. Good luck to you.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 23' cuddy for 18 years. It had a small cabin with a portapottie and sink.
For starters, it rarely got wet inside the cabin. If someone stepped down there and got the carpet wet, I would just leave the hatch and cockpit door open (a little bit) for a day or two- if the weather stayed dry. OTOH, if it rained I would leave it covered until the next nice day. I ALWAYS covered that boat when not using it.
As far as odors, if you keep things clean it won't smell. Keep your bilge clean, too- a lot of people blame their head when the culprit is old bilge water!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use a full boat cover, that covers the bow and I leave the doors and windows to the cabin open. Its dosent get wet very often but it dosnt take much to make it smell.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to those of you who have responded. I guess the thing to do is whatever applies to my situation best. Just thought there could be somebody doing something unique and that made a lot of sense out there and I could use some new ideas.

What I do presently works. Make sure it's dry and place my cockpit cover and leave the hatch under the cover popped up to allow circulation. Served well for a few years so I'll keep it up.

Thanks everyone.

mysticowner

Seaman Apprentice

Open cuddy with a full boat cover. It's a 1977 and the cabin still has the original upholstery and looks and smells like new.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Open cuddy door with full cover for me too.

If you ever get mold in funky places down in the cabin, you can use a couple of mirrors to direct sunlight at the moldy areas after you clean the visible mold up. Sunlight will kill any remaining spores without wrecking fabric, like bleach does. It works really well and costs nothing.