1990 jhonson 200 electrical problem

please help me! i have a grady white with 2 200 outboards. went to go start them and left one started but right did not. so we changed spark plugs and it started but ran on only the right bank of cylinders and the tachometer wasnt working. we replaced the powerpack, the stator and rectifier used but thought to still be good. so we started it and it ran better but the tach wasnt working and it was like the timing was slow it was sluggish all this happend last week. and also it wont start unless the stop circuit is unplugged at the powerpack. so then we thought it was the key switch but it passed the test. so then we went to go start it today and it pulled the same stuff it didnt want to start and when it did it was like it was only running on 2 cylinders tach was all over the place when it wasnt even running all i did is push in the key to prime it and it went up to 1000 rpm. then i went and turned the key and it down to zero rpm. PLEASE HELP ME

SINCERELY COREY GUETLING

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 jhonson 200 electrical problem

unplug the big red plug and jump the starter solenoid. sounds like you have a short in wiring harness or ignition switch. check all wiring connections and wires for chafing.

Re: 1990 jhonson 200 electrical problem

thanks alot ill pass that along my dad later. hopefully well be able to go offshore this weekend.