Hydraulic tilt and trim problems?

luvtofish40

Cadet
I have a 1992 mariner magnum with a hydraulic tilt and trim unit. When ever I trim my motor up my motor starts to go back down "very slowly". As well when ever I am out on the water and I attempt to trim up my motor to level out my boat it refuses to do so. What could be some potential solutions?

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Hydraulic tilt and trim problems?

I have a 1992 mariner magnum with a hydraulic tilt and trim unit. When ever I trim my motor up my motor starts to go back down "very slowly". As well when ever I am out on the water and I attempt to trim up my motor to level out my boat it refuses to do so. What could be some potential solutions?
Probably low on fluid, tilt the engine up manually and check/add fluid to the reservoir on the port side of the tilt bracket. Replace the plug on the reservoir then tilt the motor up and down a few times, tilt it up again and refill the reservoir. DO NOT OPEN THE RESERVOIR WITH THE ENGINE DOWN.

luvtofish40

Cadet

Hey Daveswaves, I am not sure what you mean by "manually", can I just trim it up with the hydraulic tilt? and then put more hydraulic fluid in the reservoir? if so, thanks for the help! How are the inline mercs? :p

Moody Blue

Captain

Had the same motor and the same problem with the PTT.

There is a manual relief valve located at the base of the PTT cylinder. It is located on the starboard (right) side of the PTT cylinder right at the base. It is a plastic "screw" about 1/2" in diameter with a slot for a screwdriver.

If you unscrew the valve (CCW) about 2-3 turns, you can manually raise and lower the motor by hand. Turn it fully CW to engage the hydraulic system again. Problem I had with my unit was that the tip of the valve (plastic) had broken off inside the housing and allowed fluid to bypass the seals. I accidentally over tightened it and broke the tip off.

Easy and inexpensive fix if that's the problem. First thing to do as suggested is to check the fluid level.

luvtofish40

Cadet

Thanks! I replaced the valve seals and refilled the pump, the problem is non-existing now! Thanks very much everyone.