1980 15 HP Evinrude carb/fuel pump question

khansen

Cadet
Please help! I took my carb and fuel pump apart the other day to clean them, and after reassembling them I have a spring left over. I thought I had it back together but I obviously over looked something. It's a small light spring that is NOT the throttle return spring. It's about 1/2" long and 5/16" in diameter. I took a few pictures but they exceed the size limit of the site. I can e-mail the pictures to anyone who thinks they know what the spring may be for.

Thanks,
Keith

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 15 HP Evinrude carb/fuel pump question

The clip of that spring hooks around the groove of the needle valve.

The long portion of that spring goes over the metal portion of the float. so that when the float drops, it pulls the needle down with it.

khansen

Cadet

Nope, that's not it. I remembered a little while after posting the question. It went in between the block and the fuel pump. After cleaning the passages in the fuel pump (they had a little build up in them) and soaking the carb in a gallon can of carb cleaner for a few days the motor runs great. Threw almost half the water in the 35 gallon trash can out in a matter of seconds. Thanks for the help, but I believe I got it. I'll find out for sure this weekend when I hit the lake.

Thanks again,
Keith

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Apparently I previously overlooked the measurements mentioned of the spring unless that post was edited and that info added later. I do have a tendency to overlook things at times, but no matter.....

However, there is no spring between the powerhead (crankcase/block) and the fuel pump assembly, only within the fuel pump.

MeanKat

Recruit

Ok so question I have a 1980 Evinrude and have problems with the fuel pump the thing is I cannot find a match for the one Im looking for keeps giving me different pump what do I do I have the serial number and modle?

AlTn

Commander

shop2.evinrude.com...select evinrude or johnson...find year...model...look at diagrams for any components....an aftermarket fp will not look like the one you have if it's still original...fp repair kits are available, but rebuilds are sort of hit and miss as keeping those tiny (2) springs and caps in place while compressing the other diaphrams was a pita in my experience and we went with a new fp instead...iboats probably has kits and pumps for your motor

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sounds like the spring came out of the fuel pump and you forgot to reinstall.its about the correct size.did the same myself .