I hate generation X stereos

a70eliminator

Captain
Remember the piano key type presets on car stereos, with these new stereos you need 22yr old eyesight to see the way too many buttons, that is you can see the function display and figure out what buttton or combination of buttons to push or push and hold. I wish they could come up with a jitterbug of a radio, you know like the jitterbug cell phone for your grandma, I'm a child of the sixties and love a good beat and more music power than needed but it's just all those funtions and buttons that clutters everything up making it hard to even adjust the volume without inadvertently loosing the whole program, just give an old FM with real pushbuttons and balance fader control with a knobs thats all I ask for, and about 200W RMS will do just fine. I'm not sure, what do we call todays kids generation?

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I hate generation X stereos

generation X would put you ~35 years old... gen x = children of baby boomers.

I think you're referring to the Gen Z electronics :) and yes.. I complete understand, and I'm Gen Y.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A70 - check with some of the kids that have replaced their stock factory head units with super-fancy DVD/videogame players in their car. Maybe they'll give you their old factory head unit, which tend to be easier to navigate and use, and may have enough juice to drive everything.

Hell, I'd even give you the head unit out of my 2000 Chev (which I replaced with an aftermarket unit that plays music off of USB devices and SD cards) if I didn't live so close to the north pole!

a70eliminator

Captain

Analog would be just great. Or something with big buttons and display. I have to keep my radio's owners manual in the glovebox because I keep forgetting how to work the thing. Thanks for the offer Sean, but this is more of a rant then anything, i just have to get with the program thats all.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I find it difficult to find a stereo with the preset buttons in a row. Most of the USB/SD card players have this whacked style to it and preset buttons which are wrapped around this wonking big volume knob or are just random shaped buttons with no usability meaning.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Classifying the Human Generations is not as simple as it should be:

Baby Boomers (1943 to 1960)

The Baby Boom Generation was the generation born just after World War II, a time that included a 14-year increase in birthrate worldwide.
Generation Jones is a term coined by Jonathan Pontell to describe the generation of people born between 1954 and 1965

Gen X (spawned between 1961 and 1981) is the generation connected to the pop culture of the late 1970s to early 1990s they grew up in. Most of this generation are children of The Baby Boomers.

The MTV Generation are typically conceived as a "cusp" generation between Generation X and Generation Y

Gen Y (defined as people born between 1982 and 1992/1993) or the "Millennials", are said to be dependent on digital technology.

Gen Z are modern children, born from somewhere in the mid of the 1990s to the present.

As best as I can figure it out.

Hence, you probably hate Gen Y stereos. But isn't that why we have kids so that they can operate the darn electronic equipment (that's what they think). :eek:

SeanT

Most of the USB/SD card players have this whacked style to it and preset buttons which are wrapped around this wonking big volume knob or are just random shaped buttons with no usability meaning.
Oh, not gonna lie - this deck in my truck (from "Missil") is a complete gong show. Nothing makes any sense. But it was cheap and has more holes and slots than a....well you get the idea. I wanted to buy the same one for my boat as well, but they ran out (it was an XS Cargo - like a flea market of junk). So there's a "classic" JVC CD player in my boat. Gives me a reason to burn disks again!

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I find it difficult to find a stereo with the preset buttons in a row. Most of the USB/SD card players have this whacked style to it and preset buttons which are wrapped around this wonking big volume knob or are just random shaped buttons with no usability meaning.

The radio in my truck has one of those knobs (Pioneer). It?s the most counter intuitive device ever put into a radio. I could never on my own find out how to set stations on the radio either. I had to download the manual to figure it out.

a70eliminator

Captain

Oh, not gonna lie - this deck in my truck (from "Missil") is a complete gong show. Nothing makes any sense. But it was cheap and has more holes and slots than a....well you get the idea. I wanted to buy the same one for my boat as well, but they ran out (it was an XS Cargo - like a flea market of junk). So there's a "classic" JVC CD player in my boat. Gives me a reason to burn disks again!
If you call that a "classic" the stereo with piano key presets must be downright prehistoric to your generation.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

My boat has one of these units. The boat has a small head and the stereo unit is located in there. It's a tight fit for me to crawl inside, put my glasses on and try and figure out what all the symbols and acronyms mean. Luckily, once its set, I have remote controls that are simple to use.

SeanT

If you call that a "classic" the stereo with piano key presets must be downright prehistoric to your generation.
I saw an 8 track player once. I thought it was a joke, like betamax. :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

None of it bothers me. I only listen to one radio station (WWL, talk radio) or listen to the CD player.

The worst part of having lots of knobs on my car stereo, is that my kid plays with them all, when the cars is stopped and he's not strapped into the car seat. He also likes to pull them off and put them in his pocket!

a70eliminator

Captain

Yea it's funny in high school I was upgrading to cassete, I designed a nice little mount on my compound bow that would accept an 8 track cartridge, would go bow fishing for carp and tie the tape to my arrow, it was slick never effected arrow flight and nothing was out of range. Used to tease my buddy that he should tie off to his belt and give the cartridge to his wife and wherever he went she could just tug on the tape. I guess this should be dockside chat eh.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a vcr blinking 12:00. Does that mean anything?:D

SeanT

Your kids will probably never use a CD or know where to put it. :eek:
Oh, they're reaching "lippy" age now, so I'll be telling them where they can shove it.

And - nice work - LOL at everyone!

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would settle for a good radio station, something along the lines of WLS Musicradio. :cool:

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's the same with TVs now. Black TV, tiny black buttons, tiny dark gray button-labels.

Can't find the remote so try to turn the volume down on the TV itself (cuz the phone's ringing and I can't figure out how to work the stupid NASA phone either), you accidentally change the channel, then you have to find the stupid-tiny-button remote, to switch the 'input' from 'CCTV' to 'HDTV-rear-2' or some dang thing, then you get Spanish ClosedCaptioning, and give up. Turn the TV off, then on, to start over.

Btw, Dang kids. STAY OFF MY LAWN!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I would settle for a good radio station, something along the lines of WLS Musicradio. :cool:

Here in Charlotte we have a classic rock station "The Ride" which is run by a guy who thought it would be fun to run a radio station, so he bought one and it is great. It is unique.. it plays music all day every day.