58' Lonestar Runabout

spadman

Cadet
here is the new thread i am starting to get some expert advise on my resto. I am starting tonight the new transom, waiting on chemicals to refinish the aluminum skin, waiting for the seat foam to put my wife to work making nice seats for us and looking for info on hull paint. i guess you can say that i am looking at a bit of work and am in need of all of those Lonestar lovers to wave the banner and support a newbie in the throws of his first resto!!!lol!

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 58' Lonestar Runabout

I saw your photos in the other thread. Great Boat! :) BUT those reflectors on the fins have gotta GO, LOL :D Take some more pics of your transom for us.

spadman

Cadet

i will. i plan on taking a bunch of new photos! yeah, the reflecters are cheese-o-riffic! i have seen where some people put working lights on their finned boats and they come out good. i think lonestar meteor has them.

spadman

Cadet

also, how do you fill holes in the front deck, ahead of the windshield that other bonehead owners before me put in my boat?!? fat rivets? flush riveted plate from underneath and smooth with a dab of body filler?

spadman

Cadet

i have just decided to buck some rivits into the smaller hles and forget the rest. i now have all of the acid etch and alodine i need to redo the hull amd then i am going to just prime and paint. the transom is coming right along and soon i will be ready to set up the steering and controls! woohoo!:D

acguy

Cadet

Man,
I just passed on a cool looking 1950 Lonestar - The dude was too high on price for non restored beginning project.

spadman

Cadet

no new pics, just progress. i am nearly finished with the stripping. the old paint is very hard to remove!!! even with repeated chemical applications with a wire wheel rough-up. i want to use duplicolor paint shop, but i hear a few wanna be paint pros say it is junk. i want to do it cheap, but functional. spray paint, Paint Shop, BC/CC and it's expense? cheaper the better to get it on the water!!!!!!!!!please help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you want to go cheap, just use Rustoleum. Otherwise, a quality two part marine paint is the way to go. Any bare aluminum needs to be hit with etching primer.