Sea King?Gale/Wards 5 hp motor help

beeatchook

Recruit
Ok I just received a 5 hp Sea King motor, model # GG18732B (or maybe that last digit is an 8?), serial number 36x872689. The boat has "Made by Gale...For Montgomery Wards..." on it. According to the title it is a 1963.
I'm looking for a manual etc but I am having trouble finding anything. Should I look under Gale, Montgomery Wards or Sea King? My library didnt have anything, didnt see any on ebay either (just 1968 and up)
2nd it looks like the fuel line going into the motor has had the end/head replaced, as I have been told these normally had a single plug but it now has a double plug (1 pointy, 1 rounded) that looks a lot like the pulg for my 40 HP Johnson, just looks a little shorter, I hope that makes sense. I need a new tank and hose, does this end piece sound like it is pretty universal? I dont really want to have to carry the motor back and forth as I try to find a hose that will pulg in. The gentleman we got it from said it is a 40:1 fuel ratio, but that seems a little odd, any help on that?

Any help would be appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea King?Gale/Wards 5 hp motor help

Ok I just received a 5 hp Sea King motor, model # GG18732B (or maybe that last digit is an 8?), serial number 36x872689. The boat has "Made by Gale...For Montgomery Wards..." on it. According to the title it is a 1963.
I'm looking for a manual etc but I am having trouble finding anything. Should I look under Gale, Montgomery Wards or Sea King? My library didnt have anything, didnt see any on ebay either (just 1968 and up)
2nd it looks like the fuel line going into the motor has had the end/head replaced, as I have been told these normally had a single plug but it now has a double plug (1 pointy, 1 rounded) that looks a lot like the pulg for my 40 HP Johnson, just looks a little shorter, I hope that makes sense. I need a new tank and hose, does this end piece sound like it is pretty universal? I dont really want to have to carry the motor back and forth as I try to find a hose that will pulg in. The gentleman we got it from said it is a 40:1 fuel ratio, but that seems a little odd, any help on that?

Any help would be appreciated.

It is a 1963, last year Gale produced motors for sale in U.S. It does indeed take the same fuel connector as it's Evinrude and Johnson cousins. The rounded prong is the fuel line and the pointed one is the barb that holds it on. Some have a third prong that merely keeps you from plugging the hose on backwards. Others don't have that third prong. Functionally, it doesn't matter. Interesting Note: Gale had the single hose system before Evinrude and Johnson. But E/J sold it as a conversion kit for boats with built-in tanks.

Fuel mix is 24:1. People will tell you anything your want (or don't want) to hear on that subject.

www.outboardbooks.com has all the factory books that were produced for it.

beeatchook

Recruit
Re: Sea King?Gale/Wards 5 hp motor help

Thank you for the help F R. I really appreciate it.