Chrysler 70 HP(How Fast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkell

Recruit
I just purchased a 17 Ft. Bumble bee bass boat that had a 140 HP Evinrude. When I purchased the boat I new the motor had problems and my plan is to tear the Evinrude down and do a overhaul this winter. In the mean time I have a Chrysler 70 Hp that I am planning on hooking up and may just leave it on there because it is not that bad on gas and runs great. My question is what speed can I expect from this motor on the back of a 17 Ft bass boat. Will it push the boat pretty good or am I wasting my time. The Bumble bee bass boat is rated for up too 135 hp motor. Thanks and be safe boating!!

Thanks, Keith

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Chrysler 70 HP(How Fast)

First off if you have a Chrysler that runs be thankfull :confused:
:p:p
Kidding now- (sort of) :D
Seriously i have a 70hp Johnson behind my 16' fiberglass bassboat & with two adults, normal amount of gear & at least a 30 pack of iced down beer it will do 40mph so i think you'll be OK with your 70 for awhile ;)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is indeed a Chrysler 70 and not a Force/Mercury 70, then it is a relatively weak engine rated 70 HP at the flywheel, not the prop. I think 40 MPH would be way too optimistic. Since it is a bass boat, MAYBE 30-35

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have a 17.5 foot Glassmaster trihull with a 1972 Johnson 65hp motor on it. The motor is a strong runner and shows compression values in the high 130s. With 24 gallons of fuel, a 6hp Johnson kicker, a good sized cooler about half full of ice, typical safety gear, anchor, yada, yada, yada, I get about 29 mph.

That is the speed as measured by GPS, in statute mph. It is with a 15" pitch prop at 5,100 rpm. I am slightly overpropped and should really have a 14" wheel to get closer to my upper WOT range, which is 5,500 rpm. My guess, however, is that my top end speed would remain about the same, with the engine breathing just a wee bit easier.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

If it is indeed a Chrysler 70 and not a Force/Mercury 70, then it is a relatively weak engine rated 70 HP at the flywheel, not the prop. I think 40 MPH would be way too optimistic. Since it is a bass boat, MAYBE 30-35

Just to be clear i was NOT saying his boat would do 40mph with the Chrysler 70 :confused:
Just saying my Johnson pushes my 16' at 40 so it might suite him on his 17' for awhile :rolleyes:

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

your decreasing your horsepower by 50% therefore its a good estimate that your performance will be cut in half at the very least. I recommend instead of doing a overhaul on any chrysler outboard, sell it for what its worth, get rid of the 70 as well, and invest in a more mainstream brand like mercury, johnson, evinrude, ect. Your boat with a 70 chrysler will be lucky to break 30 and it WILL struggle with any added weight, guaranteed.

If you do not want to find a different outboard, overhauling the 140 would be your best bet and only run the 70 to get out on the lake and use the boat rather than having it sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.