2003 Crownline for $5500????

want2boat

Recruit
Re: 2003 Crownline for $5500????

When we were first starting our boat hunt ( still are) there were alot of ads like that on Craigslist. This is how it went down with 2 I contacted:
Sent more pictures, said they couldn't show the boat, wanted $$$ to start transaction, would ship it once they had the money.
After that I stopped contacting ads that seemed to good to be true.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scam. Craigslist etiquette is probably a bit different, but I troll Kijiji a lot for my area and I don't believe it's a legitimate ad unless contact info (phone number) is posted within

Price is way too low, they just want someone to reply, and then they'll start to try and organize the sale through email only. If you ask them for a phone number, they'll give you some baloney about not having one.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I just flagged. Scam!!!!

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought it suckers....got him down to 5250!
The guy even left his Rolex in the dash. J/k

It may be a typo. I got excited when I saw a craigslist posting for a boat at 1,100 But it was actually 11,000.

So this could be 55K or 15,500... 55K is probably high but get the picture...

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was pretty sure it was a scam too but thought I could be missing something. I emailed him anyways! Should be fun to see the reply I get. I asked what kind of motor and outdrive it has and if the trailer is included. I?ll post his response.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought it suckers....got him down to 5250!
The guy even left his Rolex in the dash. J/k

It may be a typo. I got excited when I saw a craigslist posting for a boat at 1,100 But it was actually 11,000.

So this could be 55K or 15,500... 55K is probably high but get the picture...

Yeah, $15,500 would be about right, wouldn?t it?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

A scam. Just google the craiglist title (but leave out the price - scammers often change the price by a few bucks for each city - I guess to avoid a full google-search scam reveal), you?ll find it listed in many other cities.

Here?s a couple:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/1266852545.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/1268781998.html

Here?s the legitimate ad that the scammers used to steal the boat pics and description:

http://www.boatloco.com/boats/showthread.php?t=24892

BTW, the legitimate ad is asking $35900

EDIT: It looks like the legitimate ad was pulled. Maybe he sold he boat, or more likely, he got too much attention from this nation-wide craigslist scam using pics of his boat.

capt_neo

Seaman Apprentice

A scam. Just google the craiglist title, you?ll find it listed in many other cities.

Here?s a couple:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/1266852545.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/1268781998.html

Here?s the legitimate ad that the scammers used to steal the boat pics and description:

http://www.boatloco.com/boats/showthread.php?t=24892

BTW, the legitimate ad is asking $35900

IMHO -

There's sufficient national enties that establish true market value(s) of watercraft without requiring a survey to decide is legit and you want to pursue a purchase. Visit those websites to determine what seems realistic (and quantify what suggests the doubt is well-founded). The saying "you don't get something for nothing" is in use because it is still is true.

Hats off to [jdlough] for locating the "real" ad and putting this to rest.

And to the pirate that ran the ad in question - may the scoundrel 's cave be overwhelmed with flea-infested rats, his horse-hair mattress visited by scabby ole' *****s, and finally a visit from the local constable to arrest [him] when he calls to complain of the "vermin" in his house.

jkust

Rear Admiral

When car shopping recently, these constantly pop up on CL. The price is always $4,950 no matter the vehicle and the contact is a very American sounding name with a gmail address. Not sure who they think they are fooling in this day and age.

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow nice PI work Jd.

I've heard there are entire offices of scammers overseas working on adds like these. They probably have charts on the wall tracking goals and performance...

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

At least one of these "scams" is done for the sole purpose of generating a very specific e-mail list with a known interest. In some cases, the ads are put up in various states/cities. You send an e-mail expressing interest and never hear back. The scammer now has your e-mail address which is combined with all the other responses and then sold to spam/marketing companies as "guaranteed" authenic addresses with a know market interest.

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have seen the same boat listed in my local craigslist! SCAM!!!
Craigslist is gettting bad with scammers. I post somthing for sale now...dont matter what is is, and i get emails saying "do you need help" or "in need of money" I am getting tired of it!

NYBo

Admiral

Yep, I'm virtually positive I saw this yesterday on my local Craigslist page. It's gone now. SCAM!

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the email I got back!

Hi,
I am selling this boat because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before July 25. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects and was serviced two weeks ago. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained.I do have the title,clear,under my name. The Crownline has 82 hours salt water on it,HIN# JTC50657C303 and also comes with double axle aluminium Seahawk trailer (also clear title) included on the boat price.It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $5,500. The boat is in Seattle WA, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.Below is the boat details and also link with more photos,if the link doesn't work,copy and paste it into a new browser page.
Regards!!!
2003 CROWNLINE 262 CRUISER
Boat title: Clear
Body type: CRUISER
Engine: VOLVO 5.7L GI 300HP
Exterior color: White
Fuel type: Gasoline/99 Gallons
Lenght: 26.0 feet
Beam: 9.0 feet
You can find more pics at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sdfghfsddd/2003Crownliner#

LTC Amy Jones

alansauce

Recruit
This Is Indeed A Scam!

This Is Indeed A Scam!

I emailed the seller, being very suspicious of such a low price for such a nice boat.
This is the reply I got...
Hi,
I am selling this boat because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before July 30. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects and was serviced two weeks ago. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained.I do have the title,clear,under my name. The Crownline has 82 hours salt water on it,HIN# JTC50657C303 and also comes with double axle aluminium Seahawk trailer (also clear title) included on the boat price.It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $5,500. The boat is in Seattle WA, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.Below is the boat details and also link with more photos,if the link doesn't work,copy and paste it into a new browser page.
Regards!!!
2003 CROWNLINE 262 CRUISER
Boat title: Clear
Body type: CRUISER
Engine: VOLVO 5.7L GI 300HP
Exterior color: White
Fuel type: Gasoline/99 Gallons
Lenght: 26.0 feet
Beam: 9.0 feet
You can find more pics at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/amy200922/Crownline#

I tracked the IP Address, and it came up "Private" That right there, just proves that it's a scam, because if it's Private, they're hiding something.

I also entered the Boat Vin # on Google.
This website came up...
http://www.theboatauctions.com/web/1815/vehicle/93294/2003-Crownline-262-Cruiser

Notice how it is the same exact boat, and the same exact photos that the person sent me a link of.

The seller that posted the ad on craigslist, claims he/she lives in Seattle Washington, but yet this boat is being sold in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

It's just all fishy.
Why would they sell a boat that is at least worth 50k, for 5k? Why would they include free shipping, worth about 5k? People with a brain wouldn't do this, unless they were completely messed up in the head.

It's a scam, do not get involved.
I spent hours researching the email, ip address, and boat information.
It's all a scam.
If you want to buy the boat, go to this site...
http://www.theboatauctions.com/web/1815/vehicle/93294/2003-Crownline-262-Cruiser

The craigslist seller just took the information and pictures from the above website.

It's depressing that people would scam others like this, but its reality. This just proves that you've got to do tons, tons, tons of research like I did. It could save you thousands.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tell him your brother just got back and ask him what company he's in...

You don't need to do any research to detect these scams - it's quite simple - it's too good to be true.