Evinrude 35hp Won't Shut Off!!!

Ok so I have an Evinrude 35hp and when I start it she runs like a dream but when I turn the key to the off position it doesn't turn off, so I tried unhooking the battery, and nothing so I had to unhook the wiring harness and it finally shut off. So I was thinking about wiring in a shut off toggle switch but I'm not sure where to wire it. If you have any ideas that would be great Thanks

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 35hp Won't Shut Off!!!

my 58 does the same ,I just pull the choke and it kills it.... shrug

lindy46

Captain

You don't say what year the motor is. But you probably have a bad switch or a disconnected kill wire. When the switch is in the "off" position, it closes a circuit which grounds out the points on the older motors. Put an ohmmeter on the switch to see if the circuit is closing in the "off" position, or look for a loose/broken wire to that circuit.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

You don't say what year the motor is. But you probably have a bad switch or a disconnected kill wire. When the switch is in the "off" position, it closes a circuit which grounds out the points on the older motors. Put an ohmmeter on the switch to see if the circuit is closing in the "off" position, or look for a loose/broken wire to that circuit.

i agree... your ignition switch is probably coroded .... use an volt meter and check continuity make sure the switch works....

Those All Are Good Ideas. The 1990 200 Has A Plug That Goes To The Powerpack And If Its Unpluged It Will Not Turn Off It Is Called The Stop Circuit Switch. Dont Know Anything Aout This Year Engine But Figured This Might Help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check the black with yellow tracer wire, that is the kill wire. you may just have a bad ignition switch. Never disconnect the battery on a running 2 stroke, you probably blew your rectifier when you did it.