mysterious oil leak?

luvtofish40

Cadet
Hey everyone, I have a 1992 40 hp Mariner outboard. I just changed the lower unit oil about a week ago and went fishing all weekend. When I got home i noticed a build up of oil around where the prop meets the lower unit. I also emptied the lower unit oil and noticed a white cloudy colour to the oil! What should i do??

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mysterious oil leak?

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil around the prop, this is relatively normal as the exhaust thru the propeller has oil in it. I'd be more worried about your lower unit leak. Make sure you have the right type of gasket in the drain holes, usually one below and two vents on top. They can utilize either a neoprene, rubber, or waxy cardboard type gasket. Sometimes old gasket material stays stuck in there and may contribute to a poor seal. May want to pressure test the lower unit to see if it can hold around 10 psi without dropping off.

luvtofish40

Cadet
Re: mysterious oil leak?

Thanks Jmburock, I had the lower unit pressure tested and it held 15 psi! The mechanic that worked on it said that the slight milky color could have been from changing the lower unit oil immediately after running the motor? I hope thats the case. You have been a really BIG help! She runs like a dream.