1976 Evenrude 6hp Model 6604 A

snocrazy

Recruit
Hello all. I am new to this forum and have just aquired a couple of these motors. One is looking like a basket case and the other is complete.

What I have done so far to the one that is complete.
Went thru the carb. I cleaned ever thing. It looked pretty much good. Had some bad gas remnents. There is the rich lean rod that comes out of the top. Where is a good starting point? I have it scewed in right now to where it stops.

I checked the compression. Pretty much 95psi in both.
This was after I had sprayed some yamaha fogging oil in to the spark plug holes. Might be on the high side because of that. What are these motors supposed to be at?

The spark plug wires are worn where they rub at wide open throttle. Is this an easy thing to replace? it looks to be standard wire you can get bulk. Right now there is good spark. It has Champion J-6J plugs in it that are in need of replace. Are they the correct plugs?

The lower unit had more water in it than I would ever want to see. Is this a difficult issue to diagnose? Do you just buy all seals in the lower end? Are there other things I want to address while I am in there?

In order to get the carb off, I had to remove the pull starter mechanism. What the heck is the process for making it work as designed?

Sorry for so many questions. I hope to be able to contribute to this forum. I have a bunch of old stuff that needs fixin...

Thanks in advance for your replys

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1976 Evenrude 6hp Model 6604 A

One question per thread is allowed. Just kidding. Welcome to the Iboats forum. At the top of this forum there is a subject called Top Secret Files. Have a look through it for the carb. needle settings and what you should do to a motor that has been laid up for an extended time. I wouldn't really worry about the plug wires for now. If you start it up in the dark you will be able to see and spark going to ground issues and if you don't see any problems they are O.K. to leave. compression sounds just fine. Glad you fogged it before pulling it as things would have been very dry. OMC never published compression numbers for obvious reasons. Every gauge reads a little to a lot different and every one uses a different method to check compression as well. You should do a decarb and check your numbers again to see if it improved but 95 is good. The important thing with compression is that they are close (within 10%) of even and yours are. The water in the lower unit can be a problem but for now I would suggest you drain the gear case and add new oil and replace the drain/fill/vent gaskets. Those gaskets alone could be causing the water intrusion. As far as the recoil goes, herre is where I suggest you get a service manual for your exact year and horse power. Only an original OMC will do in the long run. I'm not certain which plugs you should sue but someone will tell you of for that matter it will be in the manual. Best of luck. Rick.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Suggest you read http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352 will tell you how to adjust the carb.

It sounds as though you need to fit new seals to the gearcase. Fit a new pump impeller at the same time.

Compressions sound reasonable but might have been higher considering the fogging oil. Important thing is that they are within about 10% of each other.

Cant help with the starter, not yet had to remove mine but wise enough to know not to let the spring go! A manual will give instructions including how many turns to wind the spring up.

Correct plugs are J6C gapped at 0.030"

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most likely culprit for water in the lower unit is fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft. This line will destroy the seal in short order.

Capt Ron

PW2

Commander

On my 77 Johnson 6 hp, there is no way to get room to remove the carb without removing the starter mech.

Get a manual. It's no big deal really, but there are a couple tricks to it that my manual describes (and illustrates) big help! Also I had to buy a 5/16" u-joint 1/4" drive socket--a small price to pay to avoid lots of blue language.

snocrazy

Recruit

Wow! One day and look at all of the great responces!

I really do appreciate all of your feedback. I have gone ahead and purchased te manual form this site. It is nice that they have them available right here at www.iboats.com

snocrazy

Recruit

nooooooooooooooo!

I must have ordered the stupid owners manual. That is what they sent me. :( Over 40$. I have to see if I can return it.