150 Evinrude killing batteries

Power_Dr

Cadet
Hello all,

I have a 150 Evinrude that stopped running while we were out on the lake. When it died all the dash lights went out at the same time. I found that there was a fuse blown in the holder clipped to the battery. I replaced the fuse and the motor wouldn't start up. I check for spark and there was only spark on the right 3 cylinders, the left were dead. I replaced the right power pack and the boat started right up. I was out on the lake on Saturday and it started great and was running good, when it all of a sudden died. It wouldn't start again, the battery was run all the way down it wouldn't turn over anymore. I borrowed a battery from a friend and it started right up and I drove it to the boat landing and put it on the trailer. I gave the battery to my friend and he tried it on his boat and it was dead.

I was reading all the posts about the stator and regulator. I didn't have my Fluke with me yesterday so I couldn't check the voltage when off and running. I bought I new battery but I don't want to put it in and kill that one. Any ideas about where to start. Do you think that the power pack going and the fuse blowing could have burned up the regulator?

Thanks in advance.

Another question. My brother took the boat out the other day after the power pack was replaced, he thought he would "quick charge" the battery so they hooked up jumper cable from the car to the boat. They started the car and let it run for a while but didn't start the boat, they just had all the cables hooked up in the boat though. Would this kill the regulator?? They were just trying to charge the battery with the car alternator. I don't think that was the brightest thing in the world, but not sure what it would do.

I know that was a lot all at once, but I was trying to remember the sequence of events.

I was just reading about replacing the regulator, they said that when you replace the regulator you should replace the stator at the same time. It this true? the stator is 400 bucks! if that is still working, is it necessary to replace it when replacing the regulator?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 150 Evinrude killing batteries

It would help to know what year the motor is. If your brother hooked up the cables backwards, even for split second, he blew the rectifier. You need to test that according to your manual. If the rectifier/regulator is bad the stator does not need to be replaced unless its bad too. Test it too while you have the rectifier/regulator unhooked.
A quick check of your charging system is check the voltage at the battery, then start the motor and you should see an increase in voltage as RPMs increase.

Power_Dr

Cadet

Sorry about that. It is a 1988 Four Winns 150 Evinrude. I asked him about hooking up the cables backwards and he says that he didn't, even for a second. I believe it because the battery fits in with the pos and neg on the correct sides and they cables will not reach to cross them.

Power_Dr

Cadet

Could the regulator be bad but the tach still work? Because the tach is still working

jonesg

Admiral

I believe so, the tach runs off the rectifier.

You COULD have a dud battery too,.