Lots of water in boat!!!!

TacoGuy

Recruit
The boat we are talking about is a '98 Regal 1700 LSR. This boat has been out of the water for about 8 years now(it was used 3 times before I got it). When I launched it just recently, I found a lot of water would accumulate in the hull of the boat. After wrapping Teflon tape around the drain plug to make sure it wasn't coming from that, I let it sit docked for 45 minutes, after which no water was in the hull. Once underway again, I found more water. I eventually found that a tube which is coming from the outdrive, will have no water coming from it while docked, but will have a lot of water coming from it while driving. I have no idea where this tube goes, but after reading a bit it sounds like water coming from the outdrive used for cooling? I ran the tube outside of the boat while underway and it cut down on the water coming in but did not eliminate it.

My question is, where does this tube go and what is the best solution for stopping the leak? Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1

Viking...

Seaman
Re: Lots of water in boat!!!!

The type (brand and model) of engine and outdrive would be helpful in answering the question.
The photos are a good idea, but still quite ambiguous.

Some units use raw water to circulate through the engine, while others use it through a heat exchanger (much like a radiator on a car) while coolant circulates through the engine.

In either case, if this is the discharge of your engine raw water, it should be exiting the boat via the exhaust bellows.

The size of the hose looks more like a live-well hose (for fishing).

TacoGuy

Recruit

It's an I/O Mercruiser 3.0 motor with a Mercruiser AlphaOne outdrive. A similar looking tube runs on the outside of the boat to the outdrive, but I still have no idea where it runs(or is supposed to run) to.

bhammer

Ensign

It looks to thin of a Dia to be a cooling hose. Is that a tube for your spedometer? Some other expert will be along and help out more....

TacoGuy

Recruit

Now that you mention it, i dont believe that the speedo worked.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

I would identify the reason this hose is leaking, repair the slit.

I suggest you look under the dash at the back of your gages and see if the same size hose connects to a speedo or a water pressure gage.

TacoGuy

Recruit

The hose is leaking because it is disconnect, there is no slit to patch. Following your advice on where to start, the same type tube is connected to the back of the speedo. After following this, I found where it was detached(it was hidden in a bundle of wires.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now, just gotta fix it!

TacoGuy

Recruit

The hose is leaking because it is disconnected, there is no slit to patch. Following your advice on where to start, the same type tube is connected to the back of the speedo. After following this, I found where it was detached(it was hidden in a bundle of wires).

Thanks for everyone's help. Now, just gotta fix it!