boat problems

jennincali

Recruit
I just bought a used 1984 Leavy Craft. When I was towing a tube I heard a loud sound. Then the boat would not go into forward or reverse. The engine runs great. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I keep hearing about a shear pin. Could that be the problem and where do I find it located? Help!!:)

jd_1598

Seaman Apprentice
Re: boat problems

Jen,
Sounds to me as if the gear set in the outdrive just got broken. Was the outdrive all the way down when you where towing the tube? What is the make and model of the drive (Mercury, OMC etc.)Can you confirm if the prop spins? If the engine run and the prop does not ...it is more then likely it is the out drive, either the gear set in the out drive or the drive shaft connecting the engine to the out drive. I hope you have a good mechanic that can diagnose the problem.
Gear sets are expensive.

good luck

Jim

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat problems

I just bought a used 1984 Leavy Craft. When I was towing a tube I heard a loud sound. Then the boat would not go into forward or reverse. The engine runs great. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I keep hearing about a shear pin. Could that be the problem and where do I find it located? Help!!:)

first thing you have to do is to purchase a repair manual....

might be a variety of things... i dont really think is the prop... since there was a loud sound is probably the gear .... post your problem in the outboard repair/maintenance troubleshoting forum section....