1985 evinrure 8hp won't run above idle

phaley

Cadet
1985 evinrure 8hp won't run above idle. I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the carb, checked the float level, blew air through all openings, no gunk anywhere, checked all of the fuel lines. No air leaks, spark from both plugs. The engine will not come above idle without coughing and sputtering using the tiller throttle or by manual operation of the carb without advancing the spark. Inside of the engine looks clean at the reeds, not a lot of carbon on the plugs, compression is good. I only use this motor as a kicker and it has low hours. Oh yea clean fuel and new filter/seperator. I'm at a total loss for what to look for next, ignition? timing slip?? carb??? stuck reed????
Don't want to pay the evil shop labor for troubleshooting.
Thanks Phil:confused:

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1985 evinrure 8hp won't run above idle

I see a lot of work done on the fuel side, but no spark test. You sure you're firing on both cylinders?

phaley

Cadet

Yes firing on both. At idle pulled the plug wires GOOD spark to both cylinders.

phaley

Cadet

Got it running like a champ. I was using fuel from last year, it ran fine in my 100 HP Johnson. Put new fuel and a little seafoam to it and it runs great. I guess when all else fails step back and take a fresh look. Thanks for the help. Great site.
Phil