which parts would you salvage from a dead motor?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
My 1988 70 Johnson VRO died--water in the head from bad exhaust baffle. I have found another motor just like and plan to swap them out and junk the old one. But I thought I'd get some basic parts off.

I don't have room to keep the whole thing or even just the lower unit. I don't have the skills or time to get too deep in the engine, but with water in it, no need to anyway.

The tilt/trim is a wreck so I won't try to keep any of it. I plan to take the starter, since it's fairly new and I put it on; I can take it off. And obviously the prop. Any other loose parts you'd grab and throw in a shoebox before letting it go? Anything electrical?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: which parts would you salvage from a dead motor?

put stator and timing plate on ebay, carbs, rectifier, coils, power pack. trim n tilt connection box and harness. engine wiring harness. along with lower unit. these items sell all the time.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Without the skill's or time. Check the yellow page's under salvage yards.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am rebuilding a 1989 evinrude 70 hp....

what state is Norfolk in????? Va.?

why take the motor to a junk yard...take it to a marina who does work on motors?

they wont give you any less than the junk dealer will.

and what happend that left water get in?

thanks

bob

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Virginia.
Ok this is a little more complicated than I first explained. The motor died on the old boat but I like the boat; but it's not my primary boat so I'm not that concerned about taking a chance or not spending much money.
I have a shot at a 70, same engine, that will come with a boat and trailer. I believe I can keep the motor and sell the boat/trailer for my cost of the whole rig, b/c my seller just wants it gone. He's a friend of a friend and so I can trust him on the condition, history, etc.
I have a used boat dealer/junk yard who will put the "new" motor on the "old" boat. this way I don't have to switch controls, etc. I was just going to give him the old motor, maybe in trade/partial trade for the work. He will be able to sell the lower unit in his shop.
"Upper unit" has water in the cylinders (salt) and is now locked up. I don't want to sell the parts such as the starter since I will have the same motor, same age, so I thought i'd grab some parts off it, esp. since I've maintained it right well. But I also don't want to spend a lot of time getting stuff out from deep inside that I won't know anything about anyway. I'd rather be boating than wrenching this time of year.
Thus your suggestions about wiring harness, power pack, etc. are good ones.
(Who knows after seeing tne "new" rig I may just keep it intact).
Bob you want this motor? If you are rebuilding one probably not. And it's already been rebuilt once after oil failure.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I would have taken it..but you are too far.

You are doing the right thing , hopefully bartering the services you need aginst some value in the motor for the parts guy...

and you hit the nail on the head going with the same motor...because you have all the fittings and controls will be( should be) worry free

my buddy has an issue with his 87 88 spl... and went and bought a used merc 80 hp down the street off a boat that was wrecked by a tree...

paid only $500..

I told him you have made a mole hill into a mountain...he has no trailer for this pontoon...he was going to try and do the switch over near the boat ramp!!!

I said it will be bad enough do an easy same year-ish OMC to OMC....but forget the omc to merc change over!!! ha ha

anyway

good luck

bob

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

he'll probably do it ON the boat ramp and we'll read about him in the Stupid Human Tricks department