Starting Problem

Sebec

Recruit
I've just "inherited" a late model 115 merc, straight 6. It must be a late 70's, it has the metal cowling and electronic ignition. It has sat for two years and was apparently winterized. I've tried to start it with new fuel but I did not drain the carb bowls. Would not start, sprayed some starter fluid, tried to start, no kick ( I was alone so I sprayed then tried to start). Based on this I checked for a spark (got a friend to help). There appears to be a strong spark on new plugs. Two questions:

1. Shouldn't the motor have at least kicked with the starter fluid if the problem is only bad gas?

2. There are two screws at the bottom of the carb, any idea which one drains the bowl?

3. What else do I do?

Thanks

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starting Problem

1. yes but bad on motor never yse starter fluid, alway use mixed gas in spray bottle.
2. look for brass hex plug on front of carb, that shuld help.
3. keep trouble shooting, do you have compression? are plugs wet from fuel? need to get new fuel. ang try to get fuel mix to carbs. let us know what happens.

Sebec

Recruit

Thanks Rosser1;

I saw the brass hex and will drain the bowls and try again with fresh gas. The boats a 2.5 hour drive from home at our lake, so I'm trying to do as much homework know before I drive up again.

Also the electric choke was not actuating. I had to use the manual choke on top next to the flywheel. There only appeard to be one wire going to the electric choke which seams weird, is this correct?

Thanks to all

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You are on the correct track. The choke solenoid is grounded. The one wire supplies +12VDC to energize it.

That motor should have kicked with the starting fluid. I recommend you use some 50::1 gas oil mix instead, as it is better for the motor. Spray a generous amount of the 50::1 into the carb throats, close the choke and crank it. It should kick, but probably not run long, since I suspect you have dirty carbs. you will need to clean them up.