Repainting a skeg

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello. I have a 2005 Mercury 50 ELPTO. I was wondering if anyone had ever repainted their skeg. I put a couple of scrapes on it this weekend.

I was just planning to sand it lightly with something like 320 grit, clean it with denatured alcohol, and then paint it with the Mercury black spray paint.

Is it necessary to prime it first? If so, I am assuming any automotive primer would work?

Any hints or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joseph

CanWoodsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Repainting a skeg

I'd like to hear the answer also as I'm repairing a motor that needs some touch up on the lower end.

Rick

Last edited:

Sandjob

Seaman

Sand scratched areas with 220 grit or something close. If areas have bare aluminum you should prime with Zinc Chromate primer-usually green or yellow. This will etch aluminum and create barrier for corrosion. Paint with merc or equiv. spray. There is also clear coat available if you want extra shine.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Sand scratched areas with 220 grit or something close. If areas have bare aluminum you should prime with Zinc Chromate primer-usually green or yellow. This will etch aluminum and create barrier for corrosion. Paint with merc or equiv. spray. There is also clear coat available if you want extra shine.

this

The only thing I'd add is to clean with a degreaser/cleaner/final prep after sanding - available in paint specialty shops (I use an autobody paint supply shop near my office but I would imagine you can find it elsewhere).

I did an outboard jet L/U with technique like sandjob several years ago, and it's has held up as well as the OEM paint job.