Volvo Penta AQ130C stalling

BobTammy

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1976 boat with a Volvo Penta AQ130C engine and 280 outdrive. Runs quite well until I'm getting up toward 2000 RPM, then it will stall as if it's starved for fuel. It will sometimes recover before completely stalling, or it may stall and not restart for a few minutes. The previous owner mentioned that he believes there is no thermostat installed, and the temperature gauge would seem to indicate that is the case (or it is stuck open) as the temp when operating barely gets out of the white range into the green. When it stalls, the temp goes half-way up the gauge. Could this stalling be carb ice? If so, in both carbs at the same time? It did this again yesterday, then would not restart for about 5 minutes. Then it ran until we got near the dock, when it stalled as I dropped to idle waiting for a spot at the dock. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Bob

lucky7's

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C stalling

Most likely fuel starvation. However it could be a dirty electrical connection. I would check the fuel filter and the fuel pickup in the gas tank first. Or bad gas. Eliminate these and then go from there. No thermostat is not likely to cause your engine to stall. However you should install one and check the engine running temp. It is critical for an engine to run at specified running temp which should be around 180 degrees.

BobTammy

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C stalling

Thanks! I know the gas is good as I just filled the tank, but I don't know if there are any restrictions in the lines. I'll clean those up and see how it runs.