1973 15Ft. Mitchell Restoration Project

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. I just bought this old fiberglass trihull. It is a 1973 15Ft. Mitchell. I just read the book Runabout Renovation by Jim Anderson. So here I go with my first restoration, if this one goes well. I have a 1976 Starcraft 22Ft. Islander, I will restore next. I know right now the Mitchell will need a floor and transom. don't know condition of stringers yet. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I would greatly appreciate all suggestions, tips, and comments. Thank you.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1973 15Ft. Mitchell Restoration Project

I wouldn't waste my time with the tri hull.
That Islander is a great boat and well worth working over.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Islander will be an easier restore as well. Fiberglass is a pain.

You know jonesg and ezmobee, you are both probably right. That Ialander is a much bigger and better boat. The fiberglass runabout is usable as is. I should save my time and money, and invest it in the Islander, Thank you. David.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with above, Keep the islander "Starcraft Rules":D How about some pics of her??

I tried to upload some pictures but they exceed the forum's limit.

Starcraft1.jpg
Starcraft2.jpg
Starcraft9.jpg
Starcraft3.jpg
Starcraft8.jpg
Starcraft8.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh yeah! That's the project we should be working on. Nice boat. Looks like it would handle some big water. I'd love to see some interior shots.

Thank you for saying it's a nice boat. I agree the Starcraft Islander 221 is the one to restore. I know it needs to be rewired,new floor, and transom. It also needs new hydrolic lines on the stern drive. I am told these Islander's were built for the Great Lakes area. So yes, it should handle some big water. I plan on using it in the Gulf of Mexico. Here is the 15 Ft. Mitchell
Boat6.jpg
[/IMG]
Boat7.jpg

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello, just wanted to say that both bats look like great projects, but I would do the islander first!!:)

Hello, just wanted to say that both bats look like great projects, but I would do the islander first!!:)
The Islander will be first, just have to wait about a month. I have an engine swap in my son's car to do first, he just blew it up.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I am told these Islander's were built for the Great Lakes area. So yes, it should handle some big water

That is most certainly correct:D Starcrafts were all built in northern Indiana(so are smokercrafts and a bunch of other tinnies) and I've seen Islanders and other SC's all over the great lakes. I grew up on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron way up in northern Michigan and Islanders were ALWAYS my favorite boats to check out as a kid(we had a 20' Sea Nymph). Salmon tournaments used to be huge and you'd see 50+ different Islanders over a long weekend:)

Congrats on getting the big tinny and good luck with the restoration.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Well ya'll looks like I'm going to be the only one to disagree on the Mitchel. Thats assuming you bought it in Florida and it was made by the same Mitchel that made mine. I bought mine used and wore out 1-1/2 70 hp Johnsons on it. This included offshore and as a work boat and taxi to marinas in shore. Self bailing and the only problem I had was leaving plugs in during a really heavy pm thunderstorm. I would love to get mine back but the guy I sold it to is probably still using it 25 years later. And if the deck is rotten, it because some dingbat drilled a bunch of unsealed holes in it. Assuming its the same mfg as mine that 35 hp is way underpowered for the boat. But it might have been a more consumer orientated boat. (Mine was custom built for kingfishing offshore of Stuart Fl. How far is it from where you live to Statesboro, or Washington GA? I guess you live on west coast.

Might be interested in purchasing if you decide to abandon project.

Either way good luck on the starcraft.

Les, I bought the Mitchell from a guy in Wade, Mississippi. I live in Long Beach, Mississippi, not sure how far that is from you. I thought it was capable of more horse power myself. I have not abandoned it, I just want to do the Starcraft first.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if it is the same Mitchell that built my truck camper...? I have a 73 Mitchell 11.5' that I restored and modernized. However, every single OE part on the thing is still in tip top working order even after being left abandoned for the better part of 10 years in Colorado where I used to live. VERY well built! I have to agree, I am a fiberglass man myself but if I had a big ol boat like that starcraft I wouldnt be ashamed. However, it wouldnt be something that you and the wifey could just hop in and cruise around for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. I bet the big thing would need to be PREPPED to take out, not to mention a mandatory trip to the gas pump of death!:eek::D

Chrishayes, not sure who made the Mitchell. I looked it up online, not much luck with that. As for the Starcraft I had her in the water about four times since I purchased it in June 2006, just to check out somethings. I can launch it just as fast and easy as the Mitchell. It does burn more gas, but not that bad for her size.

japdip

Cadet

Hey David,
I have a 15' Mitchell I went through last year. New stringers, floor, front deck, put a center console in and put a 70hp Evinrude with power jackplate. Great boat for rivers, lakes and bay. I go out in the gulf, but only in the mornings. Jumps straight out of the water and can snake though 6" of water with the motor jacked up all the way. It was a pretty easy redo, but yours doesnt look as bad as mine started out. Mitchell built these boats in Sarasota, but went out of buisiness. I heard they restarted in Ocala, but they are different boats now.
DSCF0054.jpg

japdip, Thanks for the information. Your boat looks great with that center console in it, that was a good idea.