Lake Ontario fishing

rolmops

Vice Admiral
We went out on Lake Ontario this Friday and we caught a nice 7 pound steelhead (rainbow alias bug eater on steroids) a 14 and a 23 pound king salmon.Not bad for a 3 hour trip to enjoy the sunset.
We caught the trout 35 feet down but the salmon was caught when we lowered our down rigger balls to 140 feet over 350 feet of water.the only thing that really bothered us were the spiny water fleas.They were hanging of our lines by the pound.It was so bad that today I went out and bought 600 yards of Flea Flicker line because the fleas can't get their tails around it.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lake Ontario fishing

Geeze!! I thought 60' was deep:eek:. Sounds like you had fun. What is a water flea?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Geeze!! I thought 60' was deep:eek:. Sounds like you had fun. What is a water flea?

A spiny water flea is a tiny crustacean with a prickly tail that it likes to wrap around small particles in the water and around fishing line.It is so small that it will wrap its tail around line up to 30 pound test. Anything bigger it cannot get its tail around.They are an invasive species that was brought over from Europe in the bilge of an ocean going ship.when it is on your line,it looks like cotton wood seeds in big wet clumps.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I use to go there a lot and fish out of the Little Salmon River and troll from the power plant to Mexico bay.I guy that I use to work with had a 26 ft Starcraft Islander and we used his 33ft Jayco trailer to stay in. Had some good times up there. In 1989 the 3 of us won 1400. in the Easter Seals derby in the spring for a 14 lbs 3oz rainbow trout 2nd place..........