Engine for a Jupiter

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the boat is coming along and I now have a decent trailer so I,ve been out looking at engines.The Jupiter is 16 " and rated up to 85 hp,while some would say bigger is best I am not towing anything.The best engine deal I have seen is Mercury twin 25 hp complete,what are your thoughts ? Too small to be practical or fine for inland lakes if you are not in a big hurry.
Thanks Mike, really hard to find 40 hps around here in Ontario

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine for a Jupiter

I had a 16' Jupiter with a 50 hp Evinrude that was just find. It would plane with 4 people or pull a skier. I would think that a 85hp is way more power then you need, but would hesitate to recommend anything less then a 50hp. I know you don't feel the need to go fast, but sometimes you just need the extra power. Do you plan on adding a separate trolling motor?

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No I don,t fish but I found this engine sizing site I thought I would link:

http://www.ybw.com/ybw/honda/how.html

Even though these are 4 stroke I thought it might be close,hard to imagine life without the internet now.Bigger would be better but a decent 40 or 50 is real hard to come by,if the engine outlives the boat people just keep it in the garage.Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have an 85. It moves well but not as fast as I think it should be able to go. I think I need some work on my set up. I wouldn't go less than a 50. In my opinion, the ideal motor for these boats is a 3 cylinder Johnson/Evinrude, preferably a 70-75. Those motors are said to have one of the best horsepower-weight ratios of any outboard. If my 85 were to die that's what I'd be looking for. Probably pretty good fuel economy as well.

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was checking out a 1975 70 hp,the lower end was a different colour than the upper section so I figured it had been replaced.I was wiggling the prop and it seemed to have some side to side play as did all 3 carb throttle shafts.The engine block was painted red and that seemed out of place,one coil in the middle was different too.
I bought on ebay the Evinrude Johnson cdrom for some info,10 bucks well spent.The price was $500., really without some one with knowledge and luck it is a crap shoot.The unit seemed awfully large and heavy,still looking.
Cheers all Mike

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You probably already thought of this, but I'll throw it out anyway. When looking for a motor, have you checked boats for sale. There are some piece of junk boats out there that have a very good motor attached. Grap the motor and junk the boat.

Andy in NY

Commander

my 16' jupiter is getting a 50hp for now... should do okay. if you are not interested in pulling a tuber/skiier/wakeboarder and HONESTLY dont care how fast you go, then a 25hp will get you from point a to b, albeit pretty slow.