Distributor install?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class
'85 Mercruiser V6
I'm trying to re-install my distributor but I can only get it about 1/4" from mounting flush, I have the grove at the bottom lined up for the oil pump. I'm TDC, I haven't turned the motor since it was removed. Any ideas? If I try to turn the rotor, it's tight with no play.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Distributor install?

i'd put money on it that it's just a hair off from the oil pump shaft. 1/32" is all it takes. sometimes takes a time or three SLIGHTLY turning pump shaft to get it to drop.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Or, you are one tooth off.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lift the distributor back up and turn it to the next tooth.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

generally, the distributor will drop in in any spot, as the teeth are the same. the only thing that stops it is the pump shaft not aligning with distributor.

diehard

Seaman

use a long flat head screw driver and stick it down the distributer hole and turn the oil pump shaft just a little should drop in place ..or get to where you have it and turn the moter over for a split second and pump should fall wright in place

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, so defintely don't force it and don't try and turn the rotor while dropping it down?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, so defintely don't force it and don't try and turn the rotor while dropping it down?

still can't get it to drop! Is it ok to turn the crank until it falls into place?

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

still can't get it to drop! Is it ok to turn the crank until it falls into place?

seriously not a good idea. if distributor drops in the wrong spot, timing will be off, you'll be pulling distributor again, and back to square one. if motor is TDC compression stroke, rotor is facing where it should, and it still won't drop, it seriously means the oil pump shaft is lining up. after 20+ years of motors, i'm telling you this is the problem. UNLESS this distributor is a new or different one other than stock. if this is the case, there is a chance it is the wrong one, wrong gear, wrong shaft.

itsonlymoney

Seaman Apprentice

If the distrubutors are the same you should be able to get it to drop down by either turning the crank or bumping the starter once. Be sure your lined up and you should fall right into place. If it does fall one out, reset it and it should fall right in.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

seriously not a good idea. if distributor drops in the wrong spot, timing will be off, you'll be pulling distributor again, and back to square one. if motor is TDC compression stroke, rotor is facing where it should, and it still won't drop, it seriously means the oil pump shaft is lining up. after 20+ years of motors, i'm telling you this is the problem. UNLESS this distributor is a new or different one other than stock. if this is the case, there is a chance it is the wrong one, wrong gear, wrong shaft.

Same distributor, I'll try lining up the shaft again. It's almost seated, just needs about 1/4" or so to go. there is resistance on the rotor where it is now

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

distributor should start to drop in with rotor facing a bit behind where it should, but as the gear meshes with cam gear, rotor will turn slightly and either drop right into place if oil pump shaft is positioned right, or it will stop just short of dropping all the way if pump shaft is off. you might be able to raise up on distributor without pulling it all the way out, push it back in gently. sometimes this will move the pump shaft just enough to get distributor to drop. also, you may want to take a screwdrive and GENTLY push down on oil pump shaft, just to make sure it's seated right, and may have to turn shaft ever so slightly, little by little till it's positioned right. tedious, yes, but that's better than forcing, wrong shortcutting.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

distributor should start to drop in with rotor facing a bit behind where it should, but as the gear meshes with cam gear, rotor will turn slightly and either drop right into place if oil pump shaft is positioned right, or it will stop just short of dropping all the way if pump shaft is off. you might be able to raise up on distributor without pulling it all the way out, push it back in gently. sometimes this will move the pump shaft just enough to get distributor to drop. also, you may want to take a screwdrive and GENTLY push down on oil pump shaft, just to make sure it's seated right, and may have to turn shaft ever so slightly, little by little till it's positioned right. tedious, yes, but that's better than forcing, wrong shortcutting.

Ok. I'll try that. thanks. I'll let you know.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. I'll try that. thanks. I'll let you know.

GOT IT!!! thanks! Just had to finesse it a little and move the crank just a very little, and it dropped into place!!!!
Now to adjust the valves:(

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

We had something similar to this happen. Pulled the distributor to check the electronic ignition and when we went to put the distributor back in it wouldnt go in if we lined up the marks from when we took it out.

Once we got a screw driver long enough to reach the oil pump it took around 5 times of slightly turning it then trying it.

Make sure you have drop a screw driver thats too short down in that hole!!! :eek: