hard starting 175 mariner 1998 (carbs)

warbird

Recruit
recently having probs starting my engine , starts fine in the am, make run down the lake, fish areas restart is fine, seems that when the air temp rises late in the morning, and I sit with the engine shut down for awhile, it is very difficult to start, need to move throttle all the way forward and sit on choke, and crank away. Eventually it will start the first time then seems to run out of gas, ball is soft, reprim ball and then try to restart, finally it starts with a plume of smoke, let it idle a bit then im off, good hole shot, 5300 rpm 65 mph all the way down the lake idles smooth once started, then again same thing happens, with start mode. just bfore summer put in fuel water separator, now have probs. With mariners with carbs , need to have it trimmed down, have been told that from the first day i owned it, prob i have now is like it is in trimmed up position, what would have an affect on starting with engine idle in the heat, just found another thing a bit ago, had engine hood off, pumped ball have fuel leaking up at oil injection regulating valve

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: hard starting 175 mariner 1998 (carbs)

If the fuel lines feel softened, replace them ALL. Alcohol may have degraded the lines, if that leak is before the fuel pump it was sucking air into the line.

Leaning on the choke leads me to think the carbs are about out of fuel, the fuel pumps gets just enough in the motor fires but the carbs immediately run out of fuel again and it dies.

Change out all the fuel lines and retest.

warbird

Recruit
Re: hard starting 175 mariner 1998 (carbs)

my leak is where the oil injection pump line tees into main fuel line before pump. thanks for the info warbird