Mercuiser 160 straight 6 starting problem...

69Gulfstream

Cadet
Hi,
I've been enjoying my old 69 Glastron Gulfstream all summer long.. I love this boat.. All summer long it starts and runs so perfect.. Now all of a sudden it doesn't want to start when its at operating temperature. It gets worse the warmer the engine is. And when it does start its extremely heasatant... And the really strange thing is when it does finaly start its usualy when I let off the starter.. Right when I let off the key it will fire.. So what the heck does that mean? Anybody ever have that where they let off the key and the engine starts??
I hope someone can help.. At least point me in the right direction..
thanks,
Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercuiser 160 straight 6 starting problem...

And the really strange thing is when it does finaly start its usualy when I let off the starter.. Right when I let off the key it will fire.. So what the heck does that mean? Anybody ever have that where they let off the key and the engine starts??

Ayuh,... There's a natural Boost of power available when the starter stops drawing power...

It sounds like it needs a Full, Complete Tune Up,+ Service....
With some special attention to the carb,+ Choke...

69Gulfstream

Cadet

Hi,
I find it hard to beleive that it would need a complete new tuneup and a carburetor overhaul when it does it over nite like this. It has to be something.. The spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and points aren't that old.. they look good. I was looking at it and I see there are 2 resistor looking objects twards the back of the engine. And the wires going to the coil look like they are going through those resistors. Could these be my problem? Because they look like they regulate the about of power going to the coil.. Maybe they are taking to much now? And the fact it does the starting problem when its warm.. Something is effected by heat..

Chris

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check to see if you have +12v at the + side of the coil while cranking. I almost wonder if the ballast resistor bypass wiring hasn't failed somehow, and you're not getting full voltage to the coil while cranking. The ceramic blocks are the ballast resistor(s). WHat those do is cut the coil voltage to about 6-8 volts so it doesn't cook the points. When running, thats plenty but while cranking, those resistors are usually bypassed by a wire running to the I terminal on the starter solenoid (should be on your starter) so you get full power for a hotter spark while the starter is pulling the voltage down. Without that bypass, the spark is usually too weak to light off the fuel mix in the cylinder and by the time it finally catches, the motor is flooded.