outboard engine weight and removal

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello!
I have a 1975 mercury 1150 in-line six that has to come off for a transom rebuild. Does anyone know the weight of these engines? Also I am new to boating and don't know exactly how to bond the new transom to the fiberglass. Can anyone give me a basic run down? Thanx!

Last edited:

drewpster

Commander
Re: outboard engine weight and removal

I do not know the weight of your engine, however I am sure that any rental engine hoist would be enough to lift it off.
The most basic rundown I can give you on the transom is still pretty involved. You need to remove the old transom. This can be done by removing the inner skin of the transom and peeling it from the outer skin. You can also get to it through the top and chisel, drill or even chain saw it out between the inner and outer skins leaving a slot.
If you remove the inner skin you will need to build a new transom out of marine ply. Coat it with resin to seal it. Bond it to the outer skin using resin and fiberglass with clamps, then fiberglass a new inner skin.
If you use the slot method the easiest way to replace it is with a product called Seacast. (do a search, they have video on the process)
Which method you use is going to depend how far you want to go with the job. I have no personal experience with Seacast. Many folks have used it in here with good results. Given that my boat needed new stringers and a deck to go along with the transom, wood is my preferred method.
If your boat is solid and the transom is its only issue Seacast may be the way to go. If you are going to need further structural work, I recommend going with wood. Either method is allot of work and takes a commitment to get it done. A pro can get it done in a week or two, a do-it-yoursefer (like me) will take considerably longer. Do thorough research before deciding to take on the task.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

For my engine, 50 Evinrude, I will take a ratchet strap around a roof joist and take mine off like that but yours is a bit bigger and I woudl reccomend a cherry picker, they will handle any outboard made.

I can't help with your transom, I like to stay away from glass, smells bad you know.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Its around 315 lbs for an inline 6 and awkward to handle

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where is the best place to attach a strap or chain?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Are you referring to the attaching to the motor or an object to get the motor off?

I used a bolt mounted through a beam in my garage and used a comealong to get my 1973 150 hp Merc off. I've also heard people using a tree outside. As for the motor, I had a bracket at the base of the motor that I attached to.

jonesg

Admiral

take a look on craigslist, I see engine hoists listed under "tools" all day long for around $150. Glad I bought mine after renting one for $37 day.
I use it for other stuff too.

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the engine off! Thanks for your help, everyone! Now I need to commence with the transom replacement. I think I am going to cut the deck and remove only the rear of it. (I have a tri-hull open bow and I don't have people to help me.) I will post pics as soon as I figure out how!