How do I get a replacement Coast Guard Spec Plate?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

Ran a search on the forums and came up dry... I have a 1985 15ft. Riviera Bowrider...

Riviera Boat, Inc.
Riviera Beach, FL

I have searched and searched and been unable to find anything on the web about this boat company...

The "sticklers" from the marine patrol and sherrif's office, won't give me a saftey sticker because the coast guard capacities sticker on my boat is gone... (wore off from age)...

I am wondering if anyone knows how/where I might go about getting a replacement?

On the topic of the boat, anyone have a link to any kind of information for it? (Original specs, weight, etc.)

thanks!

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I get a replacement Coast Guard Spec Plate?

After reading this, I was thinking where mine is located. Hmmmm......went out and looked and cant find it anywhere!! I am also curious on this as well. I dont even see where is use to be.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Go to the bottom of the main page and click on Riveria boats. Post in there that you need a picture of the sticker. Describe your boat so you get the correct one ( length, i/o or o/b etc)

You can probably get one printed at an office type store on an adhesive backing.

Good luck
Jeff

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

OK thanks .. made the new post on the riviera board...

only one other post there ever, lol, thats not a good sign... guess we'll see...

I know this was a local company here in FL, and they pretty much made only the one boat design, so I may be SOL since they went out of business years ago...

Does the coast guard keep records of these things, since its their capacities?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

well on this topic... I spent last night doing quite a bit of research, and besides the fact that I can't get an equipment safety sticker for the current year (which in FL means hassles by the law at the ramp and on the water more frequently), if you were stopped by an overly enthusiastic officer, they could actually force you to leave the water without one... it seems to be on the boating laws for many states... (they are required by the Coast guard on any boat under 20' length).

example:

"(4) No person shall operate, or give permission for the operation of, a vessel on the waters of this state if the required United States Coast Guard capacity or certification information label has been altered, defaced, or removed."

I did manage to find the coast guard formula for determining maximum weight and person capacities:

"To answer your question for it being the capacity plate. If you are
unable to obtain this information from the manufacturer, then you can use
this formula to determine what your boats capacity is;
vessel length (feet) multiply vessel width (feet) dived by 15. This will give you the total maximum number of people you may have your boat. You can take the total number of people then multiply by 150, this will give you the
total maximum weight limit."

Luckily having owned one of these boats before, I know the max HP rating already...

That being said, if I can't get a picture of the exact one for my boat, could someone snap a photo of their sticker and send it to me or post it? (I want to get the layout so I can have one made up).

Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral

google uscg capacity plate and then look in the images, lots of examples there for the capacity plates