Problem w/99 merc 115 o/b t/t motor help!!

99wellcraft

Recruit
I was having problem with me t/t on my 1999 Mercury 115 o/b costal elpto. I figured out it was the trim motor. I bought a new Arco motor and put it on. While taking the olkd one off I had to loosen the bleeder valve to raise the motor up in order to get to the t/t motor. While doing this fluid squirted out of the bleeder valve on the right bottom of the t/t motor. I got it raised up and everything changed over to the new one. I pushed the switch on the cowling and it moved the motor up a few inches and stopped. i then pushed the switch the other way and it went down a few inches. now it wont go up or down but the t/t motor still sounds like it is running fine. I made sure it was full of fluid and I have manually tried to raise the motor and let the air out of the reservoir but nothing seems to work. Could the little shaft (1 inch shaft) that goes from the motor to the hydraulics have broken. I am frustrated as heck. Please help!!!

Last edited:

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Problem w/99 merc 115 o/b t/t motor help!!

99 wellcraft-

It sounds as if you've air locked your system by inducing air when you raised the motor with the bleed valve open. Bleed the air off by loosening the bleed valve and running the motor. Tighten the valve when fluid is coming out. Repeat this process until you have fluid (no air) coming from the cylinder in raise or lower. Loosen your fill cap while all this is happening, it will allow air to escape as you run the pump.

Be sure to fill and keep the reservoir full or you will defeat the bleed process. Close and tighten all fittings, bleed valves and fill caps when complete.

Good luck! ;)

99wellcraft

Recruit
Re: Problem w/99 merc 115 o/b t/t motor help!!

I figured it out myself. the new small shaft atht hey gave me w/new trim motor was like 1/32 inch too short and wasn't engaging the hydraulics. I put the olkd shaft back in and whola it works great. Thanks to all that replied.