350 Ground Running Procedure

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have my Mercruiser 350 5.7L out of my boat & on blocks. I'm not 100% sure on how to hook it up to run. I don't want to "experiment."

Is there a how-to somewhere? If so, can someone send me a link.

If not, how about a crash course? I think I have everything I need. Two fully charged batteries, fuel can, fuel hose w/ hand pump, starter switch with two aligator leads. I'm thinking that I need to do something special with the starter solenoid? I have the 350 manual ... but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 350 Ground Running Procedure

best to have a hoist and hang motor, then lower it onto blocks keeping tension on the hoist chains. i'd hate to see what that motor would do just sitting on blocks and not supported from above!!

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have it secured by my hoist. It's sitting on blocks, but the blocks are loose, not supporting any weight .. they're there just in case.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

should have 2/3 weight on blocks, 1/3 on hoist, approx.

MikDee

Banned

Okay, here's a little info, you need:
1) A positive lead to the large terminal of the starter
2) A ground from the battery attached to the front of the engine block
3) A wire with a switch on it going to the positive side of the coil (for, run on+off)
4) and I think, but not too sure? you need your start button between the large, & small terminal, of the starter, (push to crank it over)
5) a good water source going into the bottom left (raw water inlet) on the water pump
6) finally a fuel source, & hose going into the fuel pump

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... McDee has it pretty well Nailed....

Feed it with Water, Fuel,+ Power,....
Then Light it....

Btw,.... I do it all the time, just sitting on it's base,+/ or motor mounts...
They rarely do any Dancing...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Btw,.... I do it all the time, just sitting on it's base,+/ or motor mounts...
They rarely do any Dancing...

Is that because you're not jacking the throttle?

Bondo

Staff member

Is that because you're not jacking the throttle?

Ayuh,... It'll take abit of throttling, but,..

With nothing attached to the pto end of the motor, the torque load is extremely limited....

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys ...

So the wire from the positive side of the coil needs to be a wire with a switch on it, and that wire goes to the positive terminal on the starter?

Bondo

Staff member

So the wire from the positive side of the coil needs to be a wire with a switch on it, and that wire goes to the positive terminal on the starter?

Ayuh,... You have to power the Igntion,... It don't really matter How you go about it....
Just a little jumper wire from the battery(+) to the coil(+),..
Or,..
A jumper from the little outside post on the starter to the battery lug on the starter,..
Or,..
A jumper from the battery lug on the starter to the coil,..
Or,...

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, here's an update ...

Two days ago, I get the motor all wired up ... batteries fully charged, gas pumped up to the fuel/water filter ... I push the button on my start switch and I get a click and the motor cranks over about an inch.

I scratch my head for awhile, check the oil, pull all the plugs, double check my wiring ... and same thing. I try a few different things I can think of, search the forum, but no luck.

I installed a window AC unit today and blew a breaker. I thought to myself that I should install a bigger breaker, but I should also run a larger gauge wire first.

Made me think of the jumper cables I was using to connect my motor to the battery. I looked and they were cheap cables with steel stranded wire. So I hookup some 10AWG copper wire I had ... hit the start button ... and the motor is cranking continuously with no problem.

Next time I'll start with the simple things first before I start to pull the motor apart! :D