How do you boat?

skargo

Banned
Do you do the same thing, visit the same areas when you are recreational boating? Or do you explore and go to different places each time you go out?

We have found a spot we really like and we usually cruise around a bit, or grab a bite somewhere, then anchor and relax for a few hours.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do you boat?

being on the sound, we have about 9 different islands to explore.

I usually bring different guests to different places, but it always follows the same formula.

Get out, drink for about an hour on the boat, grill some stuff up, drink while eating. Go ashore with drinks in hand, drink for another 2 hours or so. Go back to the boat, take a nap for an hour or so, drink water and go in.

Works great every time.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Huh, well I wish I had a cuddy, so we could overnight. However there is a lake not 20mins from our house that I go to quite often. That said, we do trailer the boat all over the place on the weekends that I am not on call. Headed out about an hour from home tommorow in fact to a northern lake for a bit of fishing...gonna be a full day up there.

Ian

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i launch out of the same marina, and generally stay in the same portion of the lake, but i do like to explore the part we go to. That way if we cant find anything new or neat one day, we know where our "favorites" are at.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I've had a powerboat for most of my adult life and for me, the BOAT played a big role in how I used it....
For example, my first boat was a 15 foot closed bow speedboat with an outboard. We trailered her everywhere but mostly cruised the upper Chesapeake, typically staying north of Turkey Point. I remember taking that boat down to the Sassafras River from Elk Neck and thinking of how far away it was .:D
When we got our 23' Nova I considered the same run REALLY routine and didn't think twice about it. The added comfort of a bigger, faster boat with overnight capabilities gave us a whole new way to spend our time. We often ran to Fairlee Creek or Baltimore for the day or weekend. Even went to Annapolis and St. Michaels by water.
Our current boat is waaaay slower but a lot more comfortable. Having owned her for 5 years now, we usually stay local (20-30 miles from homeport) but have gone on a couple long trips (travelled the ICW from NC, cruised to Cape May, NJ).
With the wet slip, it's our "weekend getaway" with a view!
Although I miss the speed of the Nova, it's nice to know that we could go for an extended cruise.... if we ever had the time and $$$$$.

calvinman

Seaman

We have a seasonal campsite in the north Whitshell in Manitoba, We enjoy taking our kids tubing and wakeboarding, and lucky for me my wife is an able seaman, so I can also enjoy being thrown around on the tube and wakeboard also.

We can also explore as we are on the Winnipeg river system(a bunch of lakes connected together, part of a hydro generating waterway) It is extremely rocky however and much depends on listening to the old hands as to where the rocks hide.

I got myself(thanks wifey) a humminbird side scan sonar/gps/fishfinder last year, so in the evening when the water is calm we enjoy taking side scans of the bottom, "seeing" these rocks for once. We haven't found any sunken treasure yet, but still having a blast looking for my buddies ladder that he lost 'cause his kids forgot to put it up.

I think I may have found a sunken canoe near an area we call Blueberry Hill(20 plus foot cliffs we jump off of into the water). So when I am done my weekend of nights we are going to go up and take a closer look. I sure hope the water has warmed up, last weekend the water temp was only 62F, Brrr.

Calvi

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

My reply is both, stay local at our usual spot and adventure out.

When I lived in Florida, we had our weekend spot at Peanut Island. Lots of fun, sun and bikinis. We would also cruise up and down the I/C waterway or boat out to different dive sites.

In the Keys, it was diving all of the time. We'd look for new sites, explore them and go look for new ones. We kept a chart of our favorite and return regularly.

Here at Lake Mead, we have begun to explore but always return to Sandy Cove where we are comfortable and can float around. I want to explore more of the lake.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

No need to go any where else, our lake is only 25 mins. away and we put in at the same spot, but we have a 1000 mi. of shore line to explore any time at our finger tips, we can spend the next 40 yrs. exploring and camping and probably still not see every thing, it's two lakes combined between Lake Barkley and Kenyucky lake why drive for hours when we are only 25 mins. away, I have always wanted to live closer and now we do, I am here to stay.
http://www.lbl.org/LBLGeneralMap.pdf
We love it here, soooo much to do, We put in at Nickel Branch.

charkelly

Seaman Apprentice

I would beech or beach the boat but no reason too. The lakes i use my boat on never get above 68F and during the short summer months are usually like 60f. Also me and my buds would not really want to swim when the weather around is only 60f also

sleepyweasel

Cadet

Well after purchasing a larger boat this year, and my tow vehicle struggling with the extra weight, we usually stay within 30 miles or so. But thats not really a problem since were about 15 mins. from Torch Lake(ranked #3 most beutiful in the world by national geografic) which connect to a handfull of other lakes. I find it more relaxing being in familiar waters, still lots to explore on torch, havent got more than halfway up it yet(20 miles long). If I get bored with that, I can start going in grand traverse bay(lake michigan)....

Besides only having 2-3 months of good boating weather here, were blessed with lots of great boating lakes.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

we explore all the lakes about an hour away in any direction--have found two that are favorites-we are on vacation this week and are trying a lake two hours out and camping--can't wait:D

skargo

Banned

No need to go any where else, our lake is only 25 mins. away and we put in at the same spot, but we have a 1000 mi. of shore line to explore any time at our finger tips, we can spend the next 40 yrs. exploring and camping and probably still not see every thing, it's two lakes combined between Lake Barkley and Kenyucky lake why drive for hours when we are only 25 mins. away, I have always wanted to live closer and now we do, I am here to stay.
http://www.lbl.org/LBLGeneralMap.pdf
We love it here, soooo much to do, We put in at Nickel Branch.

I hear that, we boat the Chesapeake and have 11684 miles of shoreline to explore :D