how do i get the lower motor cowling off my sportwin 10?

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to get the lower fiberglass motor casing off my sportwin 10. i got the flat head bolts out of the outside bottom (had to weld 2 of them out) and it looks like there is 3 nuts on the inside but 2 are impossible to get to.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: how do i get the lower motor cowling off my sportwin 10?

Your mssg has already scrolled to page 3 , no-one will or can help without knowing the yr and model number, it helps us look up the diagrams at evinrude.com

which you might want to try too.

On some smaller engines the powerhead needs to come off, I've read its not a big deal, i have a 1959 10 hp with same problem but have yet to get around to it.

or get the factory service manual,
www.outboardbooks.com

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it is a 10020 (1960).

F_R

Supreme Mariner

it is a 10020 (1960).

You have to remove the powerhead. Then the lower cowl is held on with hex nuts on the four rubber cowl mounts

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i pretty much assumed that but how do u get to the nuts holding the powerhead on? an open end cant get in there and a socket cant either.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i hit my wrench with the welder to get it hot and bent it to about 30 degrees and got all 3 nuts off. the powerhead is pulling up about 4mm then it stops. Is there something in the lower unit i need to disconnect?