1958 johnson

quenneville

Cadet
hello all i need to no how to start it im not to shere if there is some better whas to do it i what to go fishing thanks have a good day

quenneville

Cadet
Re: 1958 johnson

ok the 1958 did start but wen i turn it off did not want to start again what sould i do im doing something not right what is the right thing to do to start it.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you need to have it in water for sure........ i use a 5 gallon bucket on my small obs... just make sure you have the water hose in hand to make sure the engine stays in water.

does yours have the pressurized tank?

quenneville

Cadet

yes i do push with your finger till you cant no more and i do have it in water

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well ive never had the pleasure to own one that old but i wouldnt think it would be any different than any other 2-stroke.

pump the primer, turn the tiller to start, choke it, pull it a couple of times, when it fires once release the choke and start it...............depending on outside temp you may have to choke it a second or 2 a few times till its warm enough to run by itself.

does it die by itself or do you kill it?

have you checked for fire when the no start problem occurs?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Uh...no...not the way to start that old J-son. Do this: Make sure it's in Neutral, shifter straight up; Pull the choke knob out; Turn the throttle grip as far towards Fast as it will go. Make sure your fuel tank is pressurized, pump it up. Pull the rope, but don't pull the rope all the way out...just enough to turn it over. After it fires, let it run awhile with the choke on...then ease the choke off. Has it ever run correctly for you? New motor? Check the Top Secret File at the top of this forum for info on getting an old motor to run.

jbjennings

Captain

If your '58 is the one in your avatar, it looks like a really nice motor.
If it's new to you, be very careful it's pumping water out the exhaust relief and the cylinder head gets no hotter than you could stand putting your finger on it for 3 seconds. Don't forget to mix your fuel/oil ratio to 24:1, not 50:1. Very important to have plenty of oil in your gas.
Good luck,
JBJ

quenneville

Cadet

ok thanks im going to try it now il let you no about it thanks guys have a good day

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Your needle valves may be set to lean. Start with them 1-1/2 -2 turn's open. Then properly adjust when engine warms up.

quenneville

Cadet

yes its working verry good im going fishing boys verry good team you have here have a good day

quenneville

Cadet

ok i put the lean on 2 its good but what do i put the slow speed at 2 and the high speed at 2 i dont no what to do with that ok

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

-------------------------------------------------
(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

quenneville

Cadet

ok thanks lost of help you made it happed its working good nice to have nice guys like you have a good day