02 50hp 2stroke 3cyl shuts down when warm

keylargo16

Cadet
Hi, my engine ran great all last year this spring it had some problems stalling out at idle so I cleaned out the carbs and installed a new fuel pump diaphram kit. The engine ran great for about half an hour then it just crapped out while cruising and would not restart. I drained gas and put new gas in same problem happened after running it for another hour without a problem. The first time it crapped out I noticed the water pump indicator stream started to spray instead of coming out in a stream, few seconds later it shut down. Next time I started the engine in my driveway the water pump indicator (pee hole) was clogged completely so I pried out a piece of what looked like a thin piece of rusted material then the indicator resumed spraying water instead of it coming out in a normal stream. I have the feeling something possibly the coils in the engine are overheating but it is very frustrating since I had no problems last year. Could the slight blockage of the indicator hole have anything to do with the engine shut downs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 02 50hp 2stroke 3cyl shuts down when warm

Yank spark plugs out and inspect them. If nothing unusual, next..................Do a compression check, with all plugs out, only takes a few minutes, post results. If you dont have a guage, borrow from autoparts store.
With a clogged water outlet, its possible to overheat. Could be a few things. So go with the easy stuff first. Also post manufacturer.
Im assuming you have a good pre-mix.

keylargo16

Cadet
Re: 02 50hp 2stroke 3cyl shuts down when warm

The spark plugs look fine. I cannot run a compression check at the moment since the boat is at my mechanics getting a new starter installed. When it shut down last time both my buddies who also have boats wanted to take a shot at getting it started and I guess we turned it over to much in a short period. The engine is a 02 Merc 50hp 2stroke 3cyl. The engine ran fine for a few hours then right outside my harbor it gradually slowed down from full throttle then shut down in about 7-8 seconds. I had an issue when we first got out of the harbor where the engine was bogging down but I squeezed the primer and she took off. Regarding the premix I had pumped the previous gas out just squeezing the primer and on the first pump a little bit of water separation showed, after that we didnt see any problem with the rest of the gas. I still filled it back up with frest 87 prior to taking it out last. I am currently ordering a fuel water separator to help with any future water separation. I still think the problem could be something electrical overheating, but that is just a guess and I have no idea what it could be.