Lightwin 3 horse fuel problems?

Drage32

Cadet
I just recently replaced the coils and condensers on my Lightwin. I was able to start the engine in my backyard and decided to go test out the engine on the water. I was able to start the engine but I could only get it to run 45 seconds at a time. When then engine would die out from what i assuming to be a lack of fuel, I would have to wait about two minutes before it would get enough gas to start up again and then it would run for around 45 seconds and so on. I am not sure where my problem is but i think it has to do with lack of fuel?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lightwin 3 horse fuel problems?

I just recently replaced the coils and condensers on my Lightwin. I was able to start the engine in my backyard and decided to go test out the engine on the water. I was able to start the engine but I could only get it to run 45 seconds at a time. When then engine would die out from what i assuming to be a lack of fuel, I would have to wait about two minutes before it would get enough gas to start up again and then it would run for around 45 seconds and so on. I am not sure where my problem is but i think it has to do with lack of fuel?

So, it is one with a self-contained tank? The in-tank fuel filter is probably clogged. Remove the fuel line from the carburetor and see how fast the fuel flows out. It should come out in a stream. If it dribbles, no good. Those filters are made of sintered metal and are virtually impossible to clean. You are supposed to just replace it. But I remove the sintered part and solder in a fine brass screen.