Recommend to me a baitcasting combo

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Hello All,

I have been reading the reviews at bass pro shop for quite some time and am having some difficulty choosing a setup. This will be my first baitcast setup so something that is easier to learn on would be ideal. I have decided to let the people I trust on this forum choose for me. Follow the link and recommend a setup that would be worth my money. I would like to keep it under $100 if possible.

Thanks!

LINK

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Recommend to me a baitcasting combo

I would get the Bill Dance Quantum combo...I've had a Quantum baitcaster since January and I'm just getting used to it since they are a bit tricky(ex don't ever cast into the wind with a baitcaster) but they are SMOOOOOOTH and great for casting, jigging, trolling and flipping.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104129_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

At $70 bucks you are well under budget so I's suggest buying some quality line to go with it...anyone know what the best line for baitcasters is? I haven't tried braided yet but have considered it...not sure:confused:

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I have many bait casters and in my option the Browning Stalker is hard to beat for the price. For a 5 bearing system its very smooth casting and retrieving. I like the combo with a 7ft M/H action with 12lb ts line.
My choice for line is 1st. world wide sportsman camo and 2nd is cajun fire line red. I would not use the braided line to start with, knots from backlashes can be a B**** to remove. Plus i only like the braided line if im fishing in heavy cover and i have to pull the fish out of it.

Shizzy

Ensign

I'm a huge Abu Garcia fan. I have never used one of their reels I didnt like. Im currently running a 5600C4 I got on sale for $94 on a M/H berkley rod ($30?) and Im very happy with it.

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

i would not overlook the pinnacle brand.. they make bass pro's house reels i think.. i have 5 or 6 different models.. and love them.. most of them are 5 to 6 ball bearings with really good spool breaks on them...
as for the backlashing.. aka bird-nesting when i fill a spool as i near the finish say 150 yd.. i place a small piece of clear tape..on the spool and finish it out.. backlash will not go deeper than the tape.. therefore .. you cut a little line out tie on lure and keep going..

the other night i was night fishing for bass and made a really long cast and didn't listen for the splash and let mine backlash.. pullled about three time one clip with the nail clippers .. one new knot and i was back going..
sorry i rolled up the line already out on hand.. not a litter bug.. lol.....
hope this helps..
curtis

Last edited: