19'1 Pro V Blazer PROP?

blazer81.6

Seaman
1200lb Hull
141/2x26pitch 4 blade ss trophy plus
98 200EFI
2:1 gear ration rather than the 1:87:1
I recently changed lower units and got a 2:1 ratio. Its fast out of the hole but doesn't run even to previous top end speed. I'm getting GPS'ed at 67 with WOT at 6000-6050. I still have plenty of trim left but over rev when I try to bring it on the back pad. I'm wondering what a three blade would do and the recommendations on pitch. Also, If I stay with a four what pitch do I need. Thank you

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 19'1 Pro V Blazer PROP?

what kind of boat is this. need to go up in pitch to bring rpms down and speed up. 3 blades dont have hole shot like a four.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Any suggestions please?

seems like your at the top of your range...

i think going up either 1 or 2 pitch would drop your rpms and posibly increase speed

i think hwsii might be able to help you out with some theoretical numbers but hes going to need more info....

Re: needing help with prop pitch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All, welcome to Iboats prop forum and we will try to help you as much as we can, but there is certain information that is needed in order to help you. Working over the internet and not being able to see the boat or prop the question is about, and most people don?t know the make and model of the prop, makes it much harder to propose a solution to the correct prop that you need. When we get information in bits and pieces we are continually having to look back and forth to try and piece the information together. The following form has all of the information that is needed to help you with your problems in finding the right prop. If you do not know all of the information that is asked for on the form please give us the most information you have available as I have a program I designed to find the right prop for any planing hull boat that needs this information. It requires time to find all this information when we have to look for it and in my defense I expect you to be willing to expend as much effort in finding the right prop as I do. We hope to be able to help you get the best prop we can for your particular uses, and this information is required to do that.
It is not as simple to pick the right prop as most people coming to this forum think it is, that is why we ask so many questions, it is for your benefit we ask all these questions. And if you have a stainless steel prop or are changing to one the blade geometry of the prop can make a lot of difference in speed and RPM. ALL of my calculations are done assuming an aluminum 3 bladed prop will be used, when changing to a SS prop or changing within SS props we need to discuss what you are trying to accomplish.

Iboats Boat and Motor Info

1. Year, make and model of boat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat
4. What do you use the boat for
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise
6. Year, make and model of motor
7. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT
7A If you have a mercruiser and don?t know the ratio get your serial off the outdrive and go here http://www.sterndrives.com/mercruisersterndrives.html
8. Manufacturer?s recommended WOT range
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches
10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom
11. Does it have a hydrafoil or trim tabs
12. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop
13. WOT RPM and speed from prop, how much gas and how many people in boat for test data
14. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations

REMEMBER, The numbers I give you will be NO better than the information you give me

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

blazer81.6

Seaman

Its on a 19'1'' high performance bass boat.
Recommended Rpm is 5200-5800.
Is fast coming out of the hole but not the top end I've previously seen out of the rig. Would like to lose a little hole shot for some top end. Don't know if I would be better off going with a 3 blade, pitch ? or going with a 4 blade, 27 pitch? Don't know much about props. Thanks

hwsiii

Commander

Blazer, if you take the time to fill the form out I will be glad to try and help. Thanks Vlad.

H

blazer81.6

Seaman

seems like your at the top of your range...

i think going up either 1 or 2 pitch would drop your rpms and posibly increase speed

i think hwsii might be able to help you out with some theoretical numbers but hes going to need more info....

Re: needing help with prop pitch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All, welcome to Iboats prop forum and we will try to help you as much as we can, but there is certain information that is needed in order to help you. Working over the internet and not being able to see the boat or prop the question is about, and most people don?t know the make and model of the prop, makes it much harder to propose a solution to the correct prop that you need. When we get information in bits and pieces we are continually having to look back and forth to try and piece the information together. The following form has all of the information that is needed to help you with your problems in finding the right prop. If you do not know all of the information that is asked for on the form please give us the most information you have available as I have a program I designed to find the right prop for any planing hull boat that needs this information. It requires time to find all this information when we have to look for it and in my defense I expect you to be willing to expend as much effort in finding the right prop as I do. We hope to be able to help you get the best prop we can for your particular uses, and this information is required to do that.
It is not as simple to pick the right prop as most people coming to this forum think it is, that is why we ask so many questions, it is for your benefit we ask all these questions. And if you have a stainless steel prop or are changing to one the blade geometry of the prop can make a lot of difference in speed and RPM. ALL of my calculations are done assuming an aluminum 3 bladed prop will be used, when changing to a SS prop or changing within SS props we need to discuss what you are trying to accomplish.

1. Year, make and model of boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat
4. What do you use the boat for
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise
6. Year, make and model of motor
7. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT
7A If you have a mercruiser and don?t know the ratio get your serial off the outdrive and go here http://www.sterndrives.com/mercruisersterndrives.html
8. Manufacturer?s recommended WOT range
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches
10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom
11. Does it have a hydrafoil or trim tabs
12. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop
13. WOT RPM and speed from prop, how much gas and how many people in boat for test data
14. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations

REMEMBER, The numbers I give you will be NO better than the information you give me

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

1999 Pro V 19'1" Blazer (High Performance Bass Boat)
19'1" length 1200lbs hull
6-8 gallons, no more than 2 people
Used for tournament fishing
Not a Deep V
1998 200 EFI-heads shaved, boysen reeds, tuner, aftermarket exhaust
Gear ration is 2:1
Recommended WOT 5200-5800
Is a bass boat and does have a back pad
no trim stabs or stabilizer
Trophy plus 4 blade ss 141/2x26
Test run=2 people 4 gallons of fuel, 6000-6100 and still plenty to go. Speed 66-68mph. The boat was not reaching the back pad. It was maxing RPMS so I quit trimming.
The anti-ventilation plate is level with the very most back of the boat.
Im wanting to lose some bottom end for some top end. Don't know if a 3 or 4 blade would work better. I've never tried a 3 on this rig.

hwsiii

Commander

Blazer, do you remember what the RPM and top speed was with the previous 1.87:1 gear ratio and what prop with diameter and pitch you were using before.

H

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Blazers love the 3 or 4 blade Turbo TXP. With the gear ratio change you'll probably be looking at a 28 or possibly a 29 from your current 26 (assuming the Trophy 26 is in good shape and has never been repaired). You didn't mention anything about a jackplate but we'll assume it has one. The TXPs will have more lift than the Trophy so you'll have less drag.

You didn't mention what brand the motor is but we'll assume it's a Merc. Was the old gearcase a standard unit or one of the performance units? If it was a standard unit did it have a low water pick up? What about the 2:1 unit? Again, we'll assume so for now.

For a 2 man tournament load most likely the 4 blade TXP (OT4) will be the best bet. Great holeshot, carries a load very well and has good top end.

blazer81.6

Seaman

You hit the nail on the head. Its a Mercury and does have a 12" set back. It did have a bobs low water pickup. The current lower doesn't, just standard. I had the previous prop on before with the 1:87:1. It would previously run 72-75mph consistently (5900rpm) and would come on up if you didn't care to try. VERY fast on top before but slow out of the hole. I appreciate all the information you guys have given me. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Last edited:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just be careful at those speeds with a stock, standard gearcase. It's very possible to blow out at those speeds. And we're talking about actual gearcase blowout, not prop venting.

Let me know if you need help locating a TXP. I know someone who has a couple he tried on a Lake & Bay.

blazer81.6

Seaman

1. Year, make and model of boat-1999 Blazer (High performance bass boat)
20" shaft-406lbs-200hp EFI Mercury
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat-2 people, 6-8gal
4. What do you use the boat for-tournament bass fishing
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise-no
6. Year, make and model of motor-1998 Mercury EFI
7. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT-200hp.......2:1 gear ration
8. Manufacturer?s recommended WOT range-5200-5800
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches-level
10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom-bass boat
11. Does it have a hydrafoil or trim tabs-no, does have 12'' jack plate
12. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop-SS Trophy plus, 141/2x26 4blade
13. WOT RPM and speed from prop, how much gas and how many people in boat for test data-67mph, 2 people, didnt go to WOT, over tacking at 6050
14. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations-Looking for more top as with the previous 1:87:1. I'm fast out of the hole but would like to give some bottom up for top.

H

Last edited:

hwsiii

Commander

From running numbers on the difference between the 1.87:1 and 2:1 you lost 205 Shaft RPM on the 26" when changing lower units which converets to 410 Tach RPM. Going from a 26" pitch to a 28" pitch is a 421 RPM difference. In my opinion I would get the TXP OT4 with a 28" pitch, I think you will lose too many RPM with a 29". And Dhadley knows his props.

H

blazer81.6

Seaman

Greatly appreciated. The numbers he gave me are interesting and I'll take your advice with the 28 pitch. I've got a great shape 26 pitch 4 blade trophy plus if anyone is interested in doing some trading.