What rigging to get - 2003 Johnson 50 - confused

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I bought a 2003 Johnson 50 2-stroke (J50PLSTD) to put on my project boat and it came with no rigging or accessories except the steering link. So far I've bought a new control box, but still need to get the wiring harness that goes from the box to the motor.

I was just looking at a used VRO (now called OMS) tank on ebay and it said it came with mounting hardware, 7' hose and 16-wire connector and was for engines with the System Check Monitor. According to my manual, the SCM can be used with the audible warning only, but I see mention of a SCM gauge that has warning LED's too.

A couple questions...Does the oil tank wire connect to the wire harness that connects the control box and motor? Or does it plug in to the motor itself? Would you recommend trying to get the gauge, or is audible-only operation good enough? On a budget, I don't want to shell out more than I really need to. (I don't have a trim gauge either, while we're at it.) I have an owner's manual and a Seloc manual, but am having trouble visualizing how everything fits together.

I originally thought I would try to disconnect the VRO system and pre-mix, but others have suggested that the systems on new models like the 2003 are reliable and recommend just using it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: What rigging to get - 2003 Johnson 50 - confused

Why don't you consult a local BRP dealer for the needed parts. They should be able to answer all of your questions.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Why don't you consult a local BRP dealer for the needed parts. They should be able to answer all of your questions.

I guess that's an option but I'm not sure how anxious they'd be to give out free information since I probably wouldn't buy anything from them. I know they're in business to make money, but their prices are quite a bit higher than I see on the net. My plan is to buy stuff on ebay or discounted NOS as much as possible. I got a good deal that way on the control box.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the oil tank wire connects in the motor to the wiring harness. why not just block off the oil line and premix. you don't have a tank, this is an easy solutions.

VRO conversion w/ pump still working

if the fuel side on your Pump is still working it is very simple. unplug the 2 line harness going to the oil tank, unplug the 3 or 4 wire harness, going to the Vro pump. cut and cap the oil line going into the motor. add oil to fuel tank, mix well, then remove fuel line at top carb, catching gas in a container, pump the fuel line bulb until you get premixed gas to the carb. you can tell as it will change color. put line back on carb, and go boating.

i have a 2004 50 setup this way.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

the oil tank wire connects in the motor to the wiring harness. why not just block off the oil line and premix. you don't have a tank, this is an easy solutions.

VRO conversion w/ pump still working

if the fuel side on your Pump is still working it is very simple. unplug the 2 line harness going to the oil tank, unplug the 3 or 4 wire harness, going to the Vro pump. cut and cap the oil line going into the motor. add oil to fuel tank, mix well, then remove fuel line at top carb, catching gas in a container, pump the fuel line bulb until you get premixed gas to the carb. you can tell as it will change color. put line back on carb, and go boating.

i have a 2004 50 setup this way.

Dang, I had no idea it would be this easy. Doing it this way, does the System Check still work normally or will there be sensors giving me warnings? I guess unplugging the harness would take care of that. The last remotely operated motor I had (gone years ago) was a 1965 Evinrude 33hp that you just hooked up the gas line and off you went.

Thanks for the info....yet again! You've been very helpful several times.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

...but I see mention of a SCM gauge that has warning LED's too.

Would you recommend trying to get the gauge, or is audible-only operation good enough? On a budget, I don't want to shell out more than I really need to. (I don't have a trim gauge either, while we're at it.)

So do you think I need to bother with the gauge? It has warning lights for No Oil, Water Temp, Check Engine (??), Low Oil. Obviously with premix the oil warnings aren't useful. I don't think a trim gauge is really necessary on a boat that small (15').