What Brand Epoxy Resin?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: What Brand Epoxy Resin?

US composites has decent stuff, its too rich for me though,

I'm stuck on polyester resin, and polyester is stuck on me ...:rolleyes:duh

west marine is top notch , I can't even afford bottom notch.

one thing to keep in mind if you start with epoxy you can't put polyester over it so you're in for the long haul, but if price is no problem why not.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks jonesg i'll take a look into uscomposites.

fishmonster13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i'm using the 4 gallon kit from the fiberglasssite , i'll let you know how it goes

TK

Seaman Apprentice

Where are you located? If you are is SW FL. there is a distributor for a lot of different products at fair prices.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I'm starting out with System Three epoxy from Mertons located in MA. It's not as cheap as US Composites but not as expensive as West System. Joe from Mertons was very helpful and willing to answer my questions plus they also had end grain balsa which I needed.

www.mertons.com

North Beach

Commander

I had clearly no idea what I was doing when the time came to glass the floor in my restoration project. I called Joe and asked a bazillion questions and he guided me thru the process. I ordered the System Three General Purpose epoxy and medium hardener thru Merton's and used the cloth he recommended.

This floor is the only experience I've had with glassing but I contacted him needing help and I got it!

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will check into all of these recommendations. I live in Miami Fl and can't find any local retailers with good prices, the mark up is so much higher then what you find online. I will be using it to do the floor also. I'm going to try the nida bond liquid transom for my transom redo and maybe the nida-core panels for the floor. The nida-core facilty is only about an hour away from me, so I will not have to pay for any shipping if I can pick up and purchase from there.