possible false oil alarm '91 150hp vro yamaha

danielp6378

Cadet
Was out running today, and had an alarm issue. NOt consistent alarm issue, but gages indicated it was an oil issue. So, to be careful, I mixed some oil into the gas at a 50:1 ratio. Figured gummed up plugs better than a burnt engine.

I drained the oil tank on the motor to see what would happen, and turned the key. Oil tank filled immediately. I checked the float, but not sure there is anything to check. Maybe it's a float, maybe it's something even easier.

So, It ran fine, no alarm; but I did not run the engine as long.

I've read other posts, and I will double check my connections.

Other than that, if the reserve tank is being filled, how can I know if the engine is getting proper oil? One post indicated that if the tank was refilling, then the engine was getting proper oil.

Second question: Should I remove the VRO, and go to to a fuel/oil mix directly. The foat/oil reserve gauge could be replaced, but according to this site, that's 175.00. I could remove the VRO, and eliminate any fear of losing my oil pump.

Are there any yamaha mechanics here that can tell me what's the best option? This engine is in mint condition, and runs great otherwise. It's never had any major work done.

Thanks so much guys,

Daniel

I'm not a great mechanic, but I can do much of my own work.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: possible false oil alarm '91 150hp vro yamaha

I just went through a precision blend troubleshoot issue. First off, do NOT disconnect the system. It is gravity fed, so as long as there is oil in the main tank, which is the one on the engine, the oil pump will feed oil to the intake and you'll have no issues. As long as the oil pump itself is working. Search this forum section with the words precision blend and you'll find your issue. Also make sure that the alarm is oil related and not overheating related. From what I learned reading all the precision blend stuff I'd say that you may have an issue with the sensor in the main tank. Or the wire that trips the alarm may be grounded because it has a nick or a pinch or is slightly broken and touching the block someplace.

What you do know is that the remote tank pump is feeding the main tank so the remote tank sensor works, the pump works and the sensor in the main works enough to tell the remote to turn the pump on and fill the main. Read the threads young Padawan and you'll soon learn the ways of the PBS.

danielp6378

Cadet

Thanks for the info, believe it's simple, but don't want to blow the engine either.

I haven't felt great about my sensors considering I've had to clean, reclean to get the gauges working in the first place.

Thanks all the same,

Daniel

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there are NO sensors on the precision blend system only switchs, the three switches in the engine tank, sw1 transfer pump off,sw2 transfer pump on and sw3 alarm and RPM reduction on.
at the remote is swb, if open or a wire open it will illuminate the center bar and inhibit automatic transfer but manual transfer can be used 2 more times.
there is a filter at the remote tank that can clog and cause an issue that the engine can consume oil faster than it can transfer at higher engine speeds.
when was the last oil filter service?

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I meant to say switches. My seloc manual refers to those parts as sensors with switches. Also to be Timmy Technical there Rod the main tank has the three switches and the remote only one switch. I've noticed that a lot in the questions people ask about precision blend or Yamaha two strokes. They keep referring to the smaller main tank on the engine as the remote or the auxiliary tank, when in fact it is the main oil tank that feeds the crankcase via the intake manifold. The remote is the two gallon tank that feeds the smaller one.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

big keepers :)
thanks for catching my typo :).
actually the yamaha manual refers to the tanks as main and sub oil tanks.
can be rather confusing. however my dancing fingers reversed the above.
good eye :)
ill try to edit it.
thats one of the few areas I veer from the manual, if I refer to the engine tank and remote tank it eliminates some of the confusion that main oil tank and sub oil tank can create.
same as sensors verses switchs.
a sensor implys a varying feed back where as a switch is simply on or off.
let me go fix my typo.
keep up the good eye and lets try to keep correctly helping others.