Replacing impeller - what else should I replace while I'm at it?

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I sucked up some sand, and I overheated on my last trip. I also think someone might have fired it up with out muffs for a second. I'm pretty sure my impeller is toast.

While I'm digging apart my alpha1, should I be replacing anything other than just the impeller? I see "rebuild' kits for about $15-20 more that include some gaskets and plates... should I do that as well?

Should I change my circulating pump as well?

Boat is a 91, but its pretty new to me, so I have no idea what maintenance it has had done. All I've done on the drive so far is change the oil.

Once I get the alpha1 apart I'll give it a good looking-over, but I'd like to pre-order as much as possible before I start working on it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

actaeon9

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacing impeller - what else should I replace while I'm at it?

Although I can't answer your question, I am curious as to how it turns out. I'm just about to do my alpha one as well (88 model), and I was thinking the same thing. Could you please post back how long it takes you, and any tricky parts/special tools you used?

Thanks!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

if your boats a 91 make sure you know wether or not you have a gen 1 or gen 2 drive, they use different pumps.

After you know that, replace the entire pump, not just the implellar.

woosterken

Lieutenant

since you say it is new to you and don't know what has been done to it,
I would check the u-joints,the gimble bearing,and replace all the bellows.
that way you know your good to go.

woosterken

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd also change the oil if you have not done so.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

since you say it is new to you and don't know what has been done to it,
I would check the u-joints,the gimble bearing,and replace all the bellows.
that way you know your good to go.

woosterken

I agree that you should take the outdrive off and check the gimbal bearing and U-joints and grease them if they have fittings. The gimbal fitting is on the starboard side of the gimbal housing. I wouldn't replace the bellows unless they're showing sizes of failure such as cracking or softening. Take the outdrive serial number to your dealer and get an outdrive gasket kit. Buying gaskets and seals individually is cost prohibitive. You'll get the outdrive, driveshaft, water passage and oil passage O-rings and gear case fill and vent screw seals as well as a new mounting gasket for the outdrive. The water pump kit will come with everything you need and more. Check the gaskets carefully to use the correct ones. You might even consider getting the upper gear case seal kit and replace the vertical driveshaft seal in the upper gear case. They often get damaged when removing and installing the lower gear case since you can't see up in there when you're inserting the driveshaft.
No special tools are required for that work, just wrenches, sockets, torque wrench, oil drain pan and three hands. You have to drain the oil to do the water pump since the oil fills both the upper and lower gear cases and it will drain out when you split the lower from the upper.
As far as the water pump on the engine, if they're anything like automotive pumps, they start to leak out a hole near the shaft when they wear out. I haven't taken one apart but they likely have a metal impeller, not the rubber type found in the outdrive pump. I don't think sand would damage it like the other pump.