1996 Evirude Trim/Tilt Motor Replacement

mtsummer

Cadet
Help!! I recently replaced my trim motor on my 96 Evinrude 225hp outboard. I connected the new motor just as the old one was connected. Filled the resevoir with fluid, the motor will trim down but jerks as it is going down and then the motor quits. I can wait a few minutes and it will do the same thing again. Going up it dosen't jerk but only goes up a little ways and then the motor quits and I have to wait a few minutes and try again. The motor only gets a little warm aon top. Do I have something connected wrong?

mtsummer

Cadet
Re: 1996 Evirude Trim/Tilt Motor Replacement

i did buy it new from a store on ebay, but it could have been rebuilt not sure but it looked new. thanks for the link, i hope i havn't damage the motor some how already.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You could have it partically hydra locked. Have you bleed the system?

Loose cap, cycle unit in 10 second intervals, adding fluid as required. Min. 5 complete cycles.

mtsummer

Cadet

I did try but when I do the motor will stop before it goes alway down. Is that normal? And when I go to bring it back up it takes a minute to start moving then it moves and then the motor stops, I have to wait to try it again. Also i don't see any bubbles in the fluid. But you may be right i just don't know how it would act if it was hydra locked.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I did try but when I do the motor will stop before it goes alway down. Is that normal? And when I go to bring it back up it takes a minute to start moving then it moves and then the motor stops, I have to wait to try it again. Also i don't see any bubbles in the fluid. But you may be right i just don't know how it would act if it was hydra locked.
I would imagine that the motor cutting out is from a thermo overload.

Suggest you open the by-pass valve and try to manually move the unit up and down to make sure the unit isn?t binding somewhere. Moving it up and down a couple of time would also force any air out of the system.

The reservoir should only be filled to the bottom thread of the plug.

mtsummer

Cadet

Where is the by-pass vlave? Sorry I have been away on vacation and swamped at work so I havn't even had time to look at my motor or this forum. Thanks for your time and advice I am planning on working on my trim motor this weekend.