Newbie question.. What boat do i have..?

nixonvegas

Cadet
hi im Tyler.. new to the forums. i recently got a house and there was an old boat there. The older gentleman I bought the house from gave me the boat. I have been looking constantly to figure out what it is. no markings on the boat. the only thing that has come close is possibly an addictor, aqua lark, gw invader, etc.. but none i have seen have the steering wheel in the middle. it has a 1957 Evinrude 35hp Outboard on it that i actually got to fire.. then the pull start broke. bummer.. I plan on atleast restoring it a little because i have a 7acre lake at the house to just play around on. Any help would be great. Thanks.
IMG00692.jpg

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Newbie question.. What boat do i have..?

I can't help you with this one but just wanted to say that thing is freakin' awesome! Good luck getting it restored and have fun with it...welcome to iboats.

These guys can really help with just about anything. Someone will come along shortly who knows exactly what you've got on your hands there...

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I've been around boats for over 50 years and have seen thousands of them, but I've never seen anything like this one. Hold on to it- there's no telling what you have. Somone will come up with an ID.

nixonvegas

Cadet

yes it does seem like a little death trap ha. Sorry for the huge bad pictures. my blackberry doesnt take quality ones

IMG00694.jpg

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

They use to rent those in Galveston
i bet it was fun when it was new!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was gonna say it looked like one of them floating kind of boats, but now I am not so sure. Pretty cool looking though, sorta like a floating (well at one point) go-kart!

ian

This reminds me of the "Jetsons" boat I saw in one of the storage buildings at the marina we store out boats at. It was a powder blue saucer about 9' in diameter with a hole in the middle to sit and a hole inset behind the driver for an outboard. It had a small windshield and two antennae on the front that stuck up at 45 degree angles. It had "The Jetsons" painted on the back of it. Gosh I wish I took a picture...

nixonvegas

Cadet

well i finally found a serial # on the boat. it starts with SGT. Last time the boat was registered was in 91. Im going to try and call downtown to see if their records go that far back.. and see what i have to do to get it registered. Also the motor is almost shot.. I found a good deal on a 75 hp Johnson outboard and was wondering if it would be ale to handle it? i know the 35 horse evinrude only weighs 75 lbs.. so any feedback on doing this would be great. Thank you.

ThePostMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dude. . .if you hang a 75hp outboard on THAT boat, I will personally come down for the inaugural test run. With a case of PBR and my video camera, of course!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Believe me, a 35hp outboard is going to be a hand full on that thing. Forget putting anything larger on it. BTW, the 75 hp weighs about 300 lbs.

nixonvegas

Cadet

Hey go big or go home haha. I atleast want it to have some balls.. but 300lbs.. thats almost as much as the boat. I can lift half of it myself.. Weighs about as much as my waverunner motor intact. Any guidance on what would be a good hp for it? I know 75 is a little overkill.. but i dont want it to be unable to keep up with a jon boat... ha. Thanks

nixonvegas

Cadet

Well after calling ohio's department of natural resources I finally figured out what it is! from the HIN # they told me it was a 1973 Surfer.. Didnt know the model but the make was Surfer.. Google still brought me nothing back on this. Damn. Must be a little rare.

Jeep Man

Commander

Dude. . .if you hang a 75hp outboard on THAT boat, I will personally come down for the inaugural test run. With a case of PBR and my video camera, of course!

And a body bag.

Chuck Yeager wouldn't have touched it with a 75 on it.

nixonvegas

Cadet

I found a '67 Evinrude 40hp outboard for a good price. That oughta do the trick. No overkill there!