Car lights on - Trailer lights off

Schallhorn

Recruit
I'm sure this might have been discussed before, but here's my problem:

We recently bought a little runabout boat. The trailer's lights aren't working. According to the previous owner, it was from being submersed in the water and he didn't feel like changing it out, so he just went without lights for the past 1.5 years. I choose not to do that for obvious reasons.

I decided to mount them at the top of my guide posts, (not the kind that are already mounted in PVC that gets slide onto the existing PVC - but the kind that have brackets that are attached to the PVC and stick out for the plate and lights). During my first attempt, I used the trailer's existing wire and ran it up through the PVC guide post to about half way (as far as it would reach) then used new wire to run it to the light and connectors. (To which I have recently found out that I will be unable to leave them there as the width limit for my state is 8.5 feet, so I'll have to put it back underneath to be submerged in water. :mad:)

The result was:

With the vehicle lights off, I could turn on the turn signal, step on the break, and the trailer light would work. When I turned the vehicle lights on, the trailer lights would not work at all.

I figured it was perhaps the crappy wiring in the trailer. So I used the new wiring harness, hooked it up to my vehicle, and then to the light (without running it through the trailer). And it did the same thing. Vehicle lights off, Trailer lights worked, Vehicle lights on, Trailer lights don't work.

What could the possible problems be?

I'm expecting a lot of "Grounding is the Issue" replies, but are there other issues as well?

Sorry for the long, and most likely overly detailed, post.

Thanks for your help!

Jena

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Car lights on - Trailer lights off

Yup you answered your own question. The circuit is back feeding through a Bad ground. Very common symptoms, and problem.

Do you have separate turn signals and brake lights on your tow vehicle?

Bill

Shizzy

Ensign

have you pulled a different trailer recently? figure out if its the trailer (more then likley is) or the truck.

also check to see if your truck has a "tow/haul" fuse. my truck does and it was blown causing the running lights on the trailer to not work when the headlights were switched on. I know its a different issue then yours, but its worth a look.

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remember the White Trailer Wire is your friend. (ground) Attach clean and securely to trailer frame.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I replaced my lights I ran a ground wire to every light and the trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

3 Top reasons for trailer light issues.
1. Bad ground
2. Bad ground
3. Bad ground

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

When I replaced my lights I ran a ground wire to every light and the trailer.

This is best, my NEW trailer had the ground attached at the coupler, the problem being that it's a swing away tongue, so the ground was spotty to the lights at best. I got sick of messing with it, and ran a seperate ground to each light. If you're re-wiring a trailer this is the best method, if a tiny bit harder then just grounding the trailer.

ian

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

buy a wire checker. it goes in your wiring harness coming off truck, tells you if truck is wired right. that is a great place to start. make sure all lights are grounded. lights on pvc not grounded, unless you have grong wire ran to frame. you can also get battery charger and check lights on trailer. sounds crazy but it helps to find problems. put black from charger to groung wire, and then move positve wire from charger to all proongs on wirirng harness to trailer. to see where lights fail to work.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

By moving the lights from the trailer frame, you lost the ground to the lights becuase you now have a piece of PVC insulating the light ground from the trailer ground. You need to run a ground from the light you moved down to the trailer ground.

For all of your other lights, don't bother running seperate grounds to EVERY light on the trailer. It is absolutely not necessary. What you end up doing is to chase down even more wires when you have a problem later. The trailer itself is a fine ground as long as you make sure you have a nice bare metal place where the light bolts on. running seperate grounds is a band-aid which will bite you in the butt later.