The Old Holiday

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,
As I promised, here are some pictures I had taken so far while redoing my dad's 61 Holiday. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to lose a whole bunch of "before" photos, but maybe somehow I can find them again. I'll try and get some "during" photos on here to share with you all.
Anyway, what I had done so far was to remove everything from the boat. The seats were chewed up beyond repair so those were the first to go. The floor had a few soft spots so naturally that went. I did have the presence of mind to not throw it out right away and this saved me a bit of work. I took out the old dashboard which was a pleated white vinyl over wood. It just had too many holes in it from over the years. I took off the airhorns and all the lighting. There is an old original Perko bow light , I think it's and old Perko, that is pretty big, but if I can find it anywhere it will surely need to be rechromed.
The flotation styrofoam I believe wasn't too bad, but it wasn't that good either so it all went to the landfill. This left me pretty much with the empty hull.
Before I tackled the boat itself, I brought the whole deal to a repair facility to go through the motor. Unfortunatley I didn't have the time nor did I have the patience to try and fool with it at first. Anyway, a fair amount of cash later, I have a very strong running 70 hp Mercury, with many new and/or rebuilt parts. All of what needed replacing was due to lack of use and not wear as the motor actually only has about ten hours or so on it. The paint on the engine cowl was flaking off so I took care of that also. I do have new decals for the motor but as of yet they are not on.
Well if they are there, the following pictures show the floor after getting everything out of there and getting it all cleaned up. What was that exercise video I read about? The one where you keep lifting the shop vac in and out... Anyway after a lot of scrubbing and scraping, I ended up with a very nice clean hull.
I am having a bit of difficulty in uploading the pictures. I have been adjusting the size to get them to fit and I obviously need to keep working at it, so that's all for today. I hope these work.
Be careful,
John

Attachments

• P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: The Old Holiday

John looks like your moving right along on her . With only one stringer I would think its one of the shorter holidays as my 16' Jupiter has 2 stringers. I would also recomend pulling all the rub rails off before you strip any more paint they are easy to get off . Remove the bow and transom caps then the rubber will slide right off and the aluminum rails are just bolted on . You can then clean and polish them seperate and put them al back on after paint.

Rick

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick,
I did get the caps off and I got the vinyl part of the lower rub rail out. The upper one is secured with rivets right through the hull. I'll try and get the vinyl out of that as well.
The inside of the hull cleaned up very well I think. I'll get some Gluvit next and more precautionary than anything else, I'll seal it. I think I'll do the bilge area with it as well.
I got new styrofoam for under the deck and and some marine plywood. The plywood is true one half inch as was the original deck to the best of my knowledge. I'll cut it and prime/seal it. The old deck was held in with rivets so that's what I'll go with. I saw some on Fastenal's website and there's a store near me so that's next. Some of the screws were rusted right through although I got most of them out with little trouble. I'll be replacing them all with stainless.
I'll try to get some pics on although I seem to have trouble getting them to fit. I'm not sure how to get them on here other than as thumbnails. Any suggestions?
Thanks again,
John

jonesg

Admiral

wow another tinny, I swear they're the only boats that last long enough to restore.

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again,
Well I think I've gotten a whole lot done so far. I did get the inside of the hull all cleaned up and then I sealed the rivets and seams. So far so good. I marked off where the rivets will be to secure the deck. To mark the area off I used some blue masking tape.
I cut the plywood for the deck and with a little bit more trimming I should be okay. I used marine plywood and as you know it isn't cheap so I made the pieces a little big to be sure. I also sealed and primed it. Once the pieces are finally trimmed, I'll touch up the edges with the primer sealer. I'll coat both sides with fiberglass resin I think as well.
I managed to trim some styrofoam to fit the hull. When I get the chance I'll glue the long pieces up in pairs. I ended up using the jig saw to cut most of it as I had it out while trimming the deck pieces. It worked quite well actually. I'll have to vacuum again before I button all of this up.
I managed to get a couple of new old stock gauges that replace the pitted ones in the old dashboard and they look great. I can't wait to see them in the new dash I'm planning.
That's it for now. I'll try and get more pics soon...
Be careful,
John
P1010017.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010030.JPG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good job with the foam ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes, your use of the foam is masterful.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nice project.. I'm kinda partial to the Starcrafts! :D

I'll try to get some pics on although I seem to have trouble getting them to fit. I'm not sure how to get them on here other than as thumbnails. Any suggestions?
Thanks again,
John

You need to use a website like photobucket...You upload your picks from your puter to your folder you create there.

Then when you post an update, you click the "Insert Image" button, it is below and to the right of the scarey white smiley face (lol)

Hint...

Have a second webpage open with your photobucket site up...
Then copy the image "url" address BEFORE hitting the "insert image" icon on the iboat webpage where you are posting.

Also,
When you upload pics to photobucket..You can have them automatically sized to the proper 640x480 size that this website needs..

Good luck on the boat AND the pics..

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Fellas,
I'm working today but will try and get more done on it tomorrow. Yesterday was a really good day as far as progress went. I worked until about 7:30 and got the deck all squared away. I'll have to rivet it down next. It finally stopped raining for a change here so I'm actually able to see some progress.
I'll try and upload the photos as suggested. I tried using the link from the HP photo program and it sent me to snapfish? Anyway, I somehow messed that up. I'll try again.
Be careful,
John

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay....
Let me see if I got this right. I tried photobucket as suggested let me see what happens

JTsokalas

If I am doing this correctly this should be another shot of the hull with the epoxy sealer

JTsokalas

Contrary to what this may or may not resemble, it's looking towards the inside of the bow with more epoxy.

JTsokalas

Here's the styrofoam placed onto the hull. I did manage to glue some pieces together but I have to say the glue was terrible. It was this blue stuff that was supposed to be for the foam but it worked terribly. It did more to make a mess than anything else.

JTsokalas

There's the deck in there. I have it all adjusted and trimmed. Now all I have to do is try and rivet it down.

JTsokalas

One last shot of the deck towards the stern. I actually think it looks okay. The styrofoam adds some rigidity to the deck already. I can't wait to see how sturdy it will get once it's riveted in.

JTsokalas

I think I have the ones that are current in there. Tomorrow is another day and it's supposed to be nice weatherwise so hopefully I'll get a lot done. Thanks everyone for your help.
Be careful,
John

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...not sure what's going on with the pics. I can't seem to get them to open on my computer. I am wondering if they showed up anywhere else. Oh well... I'll try something.
John

Rickairmedic

Commander

John I learned on another board when imbeding pictures when you open the insert pics box theres already an HTTP: in the box you need to remove before pasting your url from photo bucket into the box.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

John, there's really no reason to glue the foam. It aint gonna go anywhere. And do you have the flat croos peices of metal that go in at the joints of the plywood?

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NB,
I glued some of the pieces together to keep them from moving arond so much. I took pairs of two of the long ones and glued them side by side to keep them a little more managable. Then some of the pieces that I had put in horizontally/flat, I glued up as well.
Yes I have the cross pieces and will rivet them back down the way they were. I already have them marked etc...

Rick
I thought I had done that, but I can try again. We shall see as today the weather is perfect and I have the whole day to work on it. I'll try to get more pictures and finally post them up here.
Thanks again guys,
John

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... Let me try this again.

TIf I am doing this correctly this should be the hull with the tape marking where to place rivets and also the epoxy sealer on the existing rivets and seams.

P1010024.jpg

... more of the epoxy sealer

P1010026.jpg

Contrary to what this may or may not resemble, it's looking towards the inside of the bow with more epoxy.

P1010027.jpg

Here's the styrofoam placed onto the hull. As I said, I did manage to glue some pieces together but I have to say the glue was terrible. It was this blue stuff that was supposed to be for the foam but it worked terribly. It did more to make a mess than anything else.

P1010028.jpg

There's the deck in there. I have it all adjusted and trimmed. Now all I have to do is try and rivet it down.

P1010030.jpg

NB,
There's a shot of one of the three cross pieces sitting there.

One last shot of the deck towards the stern. Also another cross piece in the picture...
I actually think it looks okay. The styrofoam adds some rigidity to the deck already. I can't wait to see how sturdy it will get once it's riveted in.

P1010031-1.jpg

Okay, if this doesn't work I'll go back to trying to size the thumbnails. Never thought I'd hear myself say something like that! The boat is fun and easy, it's this stuff that's making me crazy...
Thanks all and be careful,

Rickairmedic

Commander

The pics worked fine this time and look great . Looks like your passing me up already . I am still trying to paint the outer hull LOL. Granted I popped in to grab some lunch and am now headed back out for 2 more service calls so who knows if I will get any paint today or not :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

John
Great job on the boat AND the pics..
"Life is better with pics!":D

North Beach

Commander

Yeah lookin Good! Are you going to coat the back side of the wood, or did I miss that? This is gonna be an awesome boat and you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick, Thanks Kev,

I was able to get a lot done although I am having problems again in the photo department. I think it may be the computer I am using... I'll figure it out somehow.

NB,
yes I did put resin on the underside of the deck pieces prior to the final fittment and installation. That was a great idea thanks. Once they were riveted in I sealed the seams and rivets. When I get the chance, I'll coat the top surface as well. The deck is surpirsingly sturdier than I rememeber it.

P1010040-1.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010041.jpg
[/IMG]

While the resin was drying I did manage to get some work done on the dashboard. That should be coming along as well. I was able to find some new old stock Airguide gauges to replace the ones the boat already had. They sure don't make them like they used to unfortunately.
It's a lot of fun seeing things arriving either through UPS or the US Mail. It's like Christmas in July!
Anyway it's coming along and I think I'm able to get a couple more pics on here. If I haven't already said it, thanks for all the info you've all provided with your own experiences, it's made quite a difference so far.
Be careful,
John

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

It's a lot of fun seeing things arriving either through UPS or the US Mail. It's like Christmas in July!

I hear ya on the Christmas, I love it too, although my wife gets a little frustrated when she sees the brown van rolling up the drive:D