Clinton 5 HP?

armyhooah

Cadet
I have just gotten a boat given to me for some light work. Trade for labor kind of deal.

The motor from what I can see is a Clinton 5HP Model # J-9 1101-A. The carb is a Tollston MT65B.

The motor ran when I got the boat, but would only run wide open. If I slowed the throttle down it would sputter and start to die. Mistake on my part, I adjusted the two nobs on the front of the motor, yes with out knowing what I was doing. Now the motor won't start hardly at all, when it does start it sputters and acts like it is going to die on full throttle?

My father-in-law said it could be two things; Carb problem or ignition problem?

Not real sure.

Any advice other than get rid of the motor would be helpful...lol.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Clinton 5 HP?

1. Clean carbs, a kit may be a little difficult to find. If you are careful you make get away with just cleaning and out back together with old gaskets.

2. Replace all the fuel lines and clean the fuel bowl and pump if it has one.

Probably ran long enough to loosen sludge in the carb and plug the jets. The 2 screws are the idle mix and high speed mix. Top should be idle mix, screw it in until seated then back off 1.5 turns. This is a good starting point. The bottom may have numbers on it, either way put it about in the middle. I would clean the carb before I did anything else. If you get the thing running you will find yourself fiddling with the adjustment all the time, especially when trolling. Small adjustments in speed require you to adjust the low speed mix a bit to get the best performance. Once the high speed jet takes over they are usually pretty stable.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What he said ^Typical of motors that have sat around.Start and run but get progresively worse quickly.You should check the fuel system ;repair/clean as needed.
If you do just the carb the system may just foul it up again.

armyhooah

Cadet

Update.

I have cleaned the carb and mix the gas to about 40x1.

The motor will start only on fast and it sputter really bad. Lower the throttle and she dies.

I do not have gaskets for the carb, could this be the problem?

The compression feels good, good spark.

ON the handle there is a fuel pump. ON the bottom is a screw that pushes a flat plate inside the pump up and down. How do I know where to set this screw at? To far in or to far out, never seen anything like this.