'01 merc 4.3 extra wire near distributor?

505callyourball

Seaman Apprentice
4.3 GL There are two wires near the distributor one has an eye on the end, neither appear to be cut. They're just sort of sticking up and are not connected to anything. Boat seems to run fine, does anyone know what these are for? Thanks.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: '01 merc 4.3 extra wire near distributor?

4.3 GL There are two wires near the distributor one has an eye on the end, neither appear to be cut. They're just sort of sticking up and are not connected to anything. Boat seems to run fine, does anyone know what these are for? Thanks.
It is the black wire you must be talking about.It does not need to be used at all. They have been putting it there for years. The wire manufacturer just put's the wire there for what ever reason but merc dose not need it there for there stuff to work,So it just sit's there:)

505callyourball

Seaman Apprentice

Cool, thanks! There was another wire to the left of the black wire. I don't remember what end it had or the color but it was not connected. Do you know what that may be? I will get in there tomorrow maybe and check the color. Thanks again.

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 07 4.3 carb, I have an orange, purple, and black wire there that all have eyes on them just sticking in the air. Never had a problem and I asked the dealer about them but I cant remember what he said they were. He said not to worry about so I haven't and this is my third year running it like this.

505callyourball

Seaman Apprentice

That makes me feel better guys and I appreciate it. The boat runs and goes as it should so it makes sense to me that they are not needed.....thanks and take care to all...