Can I start my motor like this ?

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice
I got this boat with this 1150 Merc Outboard in this exact condition and I dont know any history at all on it, but wondering if I can start it for a couple of seconds to see if it at least runs ? Or am I going to the forbidden zone ?
I dont want to spend money on it, but I dont want to hurt what I have. I am hesitant to even think about looking for a lower end until I know it runs.
I appreciate any suggestions..

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Can I start my motor like this ?

I got this boat with this 1150 Merc Outboard in this exact condition and I dont know any history at all on it, but wondering if I can start it for a couple of seconds to see if it at least runs ? Or am I going to the forbidden zone ?
I dont want to spend money on it, but I dont want to hurt what I have. I am hesitant to even think about looking for a lower end until I know it runs.
I appreciate any suggestions..

Rig up a garden hose to the water tube and have at it.

Coupla seconds shouldn't hurt it anyway. Just don't let it get hot, which takes less than a minute.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Couple of seconds shouldn't hurt. The normal problem is damage to the impellar when running dry. No impellar so no problem there. Until the powerhead heats up you are good and that should take longer than firing it up.

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice

Aye aye !
You guys are very helpful, thanks again !!:)