Cuddy locked!!

chrisallg2009

Recruit
I have lost my keys!!

Bayliner 1952 cuddy 2001

I just bought a new ignition switch with keys. Only problem is i have to get the cuddy open to install it. ANy ideas

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cuddy locked!!

My Capri has the dash screwed on so the ignition can be replaced from the outside. But you might want to get into the cuddy sometime. I'd spend some time trying to pick the lock.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see two quick easy choices here...

1 - Hire a locksmith to come out and open the cuddy, then rekey that lock to match the new ignition key. Will prob cost atleast $75 for the visit and rekey.

2 - Drill the lock out and replace it also. Will only cost whatever a new lock costs. You could take this new lock to a locksmith and have it rekeyed to match the ignition key for only a few bucks if you drop it off.

-RW

chrisallg2009

Recruit

thanks guys. Boat is on the lake at our dock. Pretty far from locksmith so maybe ill try to drill out the lock.

And hope my dash has screws!!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

It's easy to pick locks, especially those. Straighten a paper clip. With needle nose, bend the very end up about 1/16" This is called the rake and will be used to scrape the pins of the tumbler. Using a small screwdriver, try turning the lock cyl. as you "rake" the pins in the lock. All this is done in the slot the key goes in. Try to remember the direction it turned to unlock it. These pins are at the top of the lock, and should release with you holding steady pressure in the right direction with the screwdriver. Good luck!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My guess the cuddy cabin lock is not a traditional pins keyed lock. Check with a dealer they may have a "standard" cabin door key. Also check with neighbors and see if they have a cabin key that might work with your lock.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The key to my office desk when I was still working had to be the most universal key in the world. It opened locker doors, file cabinets, other peoples desks, and most anything with a standard type of keylock. Try every key on your key ring and any of those of friends and relatives. There is a good chance you'll get lucky. Those locks are nothing special and there aren't many codes for them.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and then, wire an ignition and cabin key somewhere in an exterior compartment for "next time."

ridefst

Seaman Apprentice

Definitely try picking the lock, good instructions from triumphrick.

Those sort of locks are ususally very low security, and cheaply made. It shouldn't be very difficult to pick.