Remote steering on a 12' tinny?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Any one have remote steering on a boat this small? I got an electric start 9.9 with the wiring harness and evinrude controls (everything but a steering cable). I'm trying to decide weather to bag it and sell all the controls or try and mount a remote steer. I seen the EZ Stiks but they cost more than I paid for the motor. Iff anyone has pics I would love to see them.

charkelly

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Remote steering on a 12' tinny?

i would try to mount a remote steer. Would be alot of fun and would pay off probaly go 20- 25 mph wit that combo

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have used EZ Glide stick steering on 3 boats, loved every one of them. mount the steering. make it almost like a jets ski.
this was my favorite. 14' lonestar with a 1957 15 hp rude.
MVC-905S.jpg

MVC-737S.jpg

5515hp-1.jpg

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Like the looks of that one TD. I may have to sit down and do some thinkin. Measured my contol cables tonight and they are 10' which is probably right for a 14' boat, but I think I would need 8' for my 12' or I would be sitting on the bow.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Go for it! Here's the setup my dad and I put in about 30 years ago...Boat's going to get some TLC for my kid soon.

Springbok_console2.jpg

Springbok_console1.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd worry about being too far in the bow since you can't shorten or kink the cables. I'd think about bagging it all; you don't need electric start on a 9.9 and then you can get rid of the battery (weight). But keep it in the garage for the next boat and motor!
12' is short for remote steering, but my 13' whaler has it. One problem with it on your boat is that you want to sit in the middle but the console will have you over on the right.